Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Another AXI question for the gurus

Old 02-08-2004, 05:07 PM
bigbobed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another AXI question for the gurus

I'm building a pattern type ship that I would glow power with a .40-.46 swinging a 10-6 or 11-6 two blade prop. Would weigh about 5# in that configuration.
Playing around with Motocalc, an AXI4120/18 swinging an 11-6 three blade, will turn 9472 rpm static on TP2050 cells in a 6s2p configuration. This setup should give me decent performance with fair run times and not be too heavy. I can't swing a bigger prop as it's a trike gear.
Do these numbers seem realistic? I read in another thread that Motocalc doesn't do well with outrunners, and I have no electric experience.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 02-09-2004, 09:29 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Another AXI question for the gurus

Motocalc can't really handle outrunners well. At certain points in the "curve," Motocalc is spot on, but if you push the motor beyond its rated capabilities, you get some weird results.

Check out www.modelmotors.cz for some test data on this motor that's a lot more accurate than Motocalc. To convert from a 3 blade to a 2 blade, increase diameter by 1" and/or increase pitch by 1". A 10x6 3-blade will be the same as an 11x6 or 11x7 2-blade.

Something doesn't bode quite right about your setup. What are the peak Amps, and can the TP cells handle it?
Old 02-10-2004, 08:54 AM
bigbobed

Default RE: Another AXI question for the gurus

You're right, I need more cells in parallel to meet the current requirements. I went to the web site but they only have data on one motor and it's not the one I want to use. I did email them and got a response that my voltage and current would be in range for that motor.Guess it's back to the drawing board.
What is it about outrunners that makes Motocalc inaccurate? Also is it considered accurate for non-outrunners?
Thanks,
Bob