Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

using two brushless motors

Old 02-09-2004, 07:58 PM
electricfan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default using two brushless motors

how do i wire two brushless motors? is it possible to connect them to one esc? if not, can mix two channels on my rx and plug in two esc's? whats the most practical way of doing this? thanks
Old 02-10-2004, 07:41 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: using two brushless motors

From what I've read, running two brushless motors off one ESC is a roll of the dice every time you go to start 'em up. No two motors are perfectly identical, and even if they were, there is nothing saying that they'd always stop in the same place every time. It won't happen every time, but as I understand it, you'll have many cases where one motor will take off and run while the other motor will just sit there and twitch back and forth.

While it may be more expensive, it's a pretty good idea to just go with separate controllers. There's no problem connecting two to the receiver. Just connect them with a Y harness to the throttle channel, or use a programmable mix and put them on separate channels. The mix opens up the option to combine differential throttle with the rudder for super-tight turns.

One caveat of having two motors and two controllers on one battery: Again, no two setups are perfectly identical, so one is going to sense and kick in the LVC (low voltage cutoff) quicker than the other. When the first LVC kicks in, the battery voltage goes back up and the second motor continues to run at full power. "Engine out" situations can get interesting to say the least, so you might want to even consider separate battery packs, and/or CAREFUL timing of the flight.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:11 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: using two brushless motors

Use two ESCs and a "Y" adapter on the throttle channel.

If the ESCs provide a BEC voltage for the receiver, disconnect one of the "+" supply lines to a single ESC.

If the ESCs do not provide BEC, use a UBEC coupled into the "Y" adapter to supply power to the receiver and both ESCs.

Alternatively, multiple channels on the receiver can be mixed but your BEC issues remain.

Good luck!