Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Motor sputters?

Old 02-10-2004, 12:12 PM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor sputters?

I am using a GWS geared 300 in a Dandy Sport, and it flys great. Every now and then the engine hickups, it sounds like a bug hit the gears and it just stops for a second. Then it runs fine. This will happen every 4 to 5 minutes. At one time I thought it was a loose prop, but this proved not to be the problem.

Is this a sign that the engine is going out? (I haven't yet warn out an engine so I don't understand its failure mode.)

Is this a problem in the bushes? (Again, probably just replace the motor)

Or could this be a problem with the ESC, I am using a GWS 15 amp esc.

Thanks in advance,
Larry
Old 02-10-2004, 02:17 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Motor sputters?

Larry,

It is difficult to tell from your brief description.

One other alternative is a slipping pinion gear. This may exhibit problems during high torque conditions.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:58 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Motor sputters?

Well, if it is indeed an engine, the fuel mixture is probably too rich

Erratic motor behaviour, on the other hand, is generally caused by radio glitches. The receiver you're using is either not particularly good in the face of normal interference (e.g. Hitec Feather, GWS R4P series), or you're receiving an abnormal amount of interference.

If this is a sudden new thing, try reseating the crystal in the receiver. Make sure three capacitors are installed on the motor. It's possible that the brushes are starting to wear or get pitted up, and the motor is generating more RF noise as it ages. A new motor is a cheap diagnostic tool.