Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

ESC and Lipos

Old 02-10-2004, 02:37 PM
AeroDave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC and Lipos

I recently purchased an Astro 020 5 turn brushless motor and a speed control as a package. The ESC appears to be a Castle Creations product. Its accompanying literature states it has no adjustments. the problem is, I have a bunch of lipos and no cutoff on my ESC. My question is, how do I run tis ESC without ruining my lipo packs by getting the voltage to low?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 02-10-2004, 03:02 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: ESC and Lipos

Use self restraint.

For the initial flights, fly for a few minutes, then land and measure the voltage. Fly for a few more minutes, then land and measure the voltage. Keep this up until the voltage gets near 3.0 Volts per series cell, and keep track of your total time. The total time you spent flying is pretty close to the total flying time you can expect in a single flight. You can land and recharge at any time; there's no law saying you have to run the batteries down every time.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:15 PM
Tweet
My Feedback: (1)

Check with Astroflight, but I think the cutoff on their 020 ESC is 5.5V. So, you could fly a 2S LiPoly pack and not worry as much about ruining your battery, but if you go with a 3S LiPoly pack your only choice will be to do as Matt says (time it) or replace your speed controller.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:46 AM
AeroDave

thanks, guys. I am running a 3S pack on that motor. It sure has lots of power! For now, I guess I'll do the timing thing. I tend to fly no more than 8 minutes on average, so its probably not going to be a problem. Still, I want to be sure.
thanks again,
dave
Old 02-11-2004, 12:26 PM
jonnyjetprop
My Feedback: (3)

Check with Castle Creations to see if they will upgrade your controller for a small price.

John Pursell
Old 02-11-2004, 01:40 PM
AeroDave

John....Thanks a great idea! Thanks!