Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Slow Stick Radio Equipment

Old 02-10-2004, 09:27 PM
Cankywanky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Stick Radio Equipment

Hi everyone.
I was wondering what radio equipment I should get for my slow stick(eg: speed control, transmitter, reciever, servos,and what kind of battery)
All this stuff is pretty foreign to me since this will be my first plane. Can you mix and match transmitters from one company with recievers from another if they are the same frequency?
What do you guys think is the best brand of reciever?

Thanks for any help
Old 02-10-2004, 11:07 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: Slow Stick Radio Equipment

Your best bet is to go with a package deal - this is only one of many suggestions I could make, but you can't go wrong with a Hitec HTR 971R Flash 5 package for $169 from Hobby-Lobby: the Tx has all the functions you'll need for the Slow Stick, including V-tail and elevon mixing if you ever move into flying wings, and it comes with an excellent Rx (555) and two Micro servos (HS-55). All you'd need then would be two 7-cell KAN 650 NiMh battery packs (~$15) and a charger (Hitec 340 - $45).

To answer your other questions - you can mix and match Tx and Rx as long as they are the same frequency AND the same shift (-ve as in Hitec/Futaba; +ve as in Aitronics and JR).

The "best" Rx is a matter of opinion, but the Hitec 555 has a good reputation - Berg is probably superior, but many others make high quality Rx's too.

Cheers, Phil
Old 02-10-2004, 11:18 PM
Cankywanky

Oop I meant what transmitter brand do you thinki is best.
Would a 6 channel transmitter be sufficient if I choose to move onto other planes?
Could you please tell me the controls that you have on you transmitter and what they do.
I have never had an rc plane before and want to know the controls.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:42 AM
Dr Kiwi

You will be a long way down the road before you'll need 6-channels but there is no harm in having more than you need if you have the money to spare. Most brands of Tx are good quality these days, especially when you go beyond the basic 3-4 channel versions. If you want a computer radio the new Futaba 6EXA is an excellent entry level one, the Hitec range is all good with the Eclipse 7 at the top, Airtronics VG6000 gets good reviews..........

What you NEED on a basic Tx are at least a trainer jack, servo reversing, dual rates, V-tail and some other mixers.
On the most complex versions the sky is the limit: back-lit LCD sreens, digital trims, exponentials, end point adjustments, servo centering, multiple model memory, multiple mixers and differentials, flap knobs, landing gear retract switches, bomb-drop switches, throttle cut, timers.............

Cheers, Phil
Old 02-12-2004, 01:56 AM
Tweet
My Feedback: (1)

If you have decided to be in the hobby and think you will have several airplanes I would recommend a basic computer radio. That way you can store the settings for the various models. All the major brands have good choices.

If you're just starting out and not sure that you are interested in the hobby then go with a really basic non-computer radio. You can always use it as a spare/trainer box later.