Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Contra-Rotating Props

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 03:23 PM
sedonakevin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contra-Rotating Props

Hello Everyone,
I am new to the forum, but have been reading and following threads for awhile. I am reasonably new to electric R/C (about 2 yrs). I have been building models for almost 35 years and decided it's time to step-up and build planes that actually fly.
Now for the question, I am planning a building project of the Westland Wyvern. This is the last of the British prop driven planes designed to be flown from an air-craft carrier. It was a turbo-prop with 2 four-blade props rotating in opposite directions. Being a scale purist I would like to operate the model with contra-rotating props as well. Doing so with 2 electric motors would not be difficult, I would like to use a large Hacker (or similar) motor and use only one motor. I have designed the necessary gearbox (on paper/CAD) but I am trying to do this with off-the-shelf shafts, gears, and bearings.
I would appreciate any information concerning suppliers of small gears, bearings, bushings, and shafts. They should be capable of handling up to 18,000 rpm. I would also like comments and any suggestions about the practicality of this project. I will be the first to admit that it will be challenging, but I see no real reason that it cannot be accomplished.
Anyway thanks for the help and for listening, Kevin
Old 02-17-2004, 08:04 PM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Contra-Rotating Props

This has been done with no added thrust. They went back to a single prop. Have you tried a search in this forum for "Counter rotating"?
Old 02-18-2004, 12:33 AM
sedonakevin

Hi Jim, Yeah I know it didn't work very well, but being the scale purist that I am It just doesn't 'feel' right flying the Wyvern with only a single two-balde prop. I'll search the forum for counter-rotating. Havn't done that yet.
Thanks

I would still appreciate any one's info on miniature gears, bearings, bushings, etc.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:13 AM
mhmitchell

I too am looking for a source for a pusher 4 bladed prop. Actually I am building a P-82 twin mustang and I need one normal prop and one pusher prop so I can counter rotate the motors. Too much toque with both spinning the same way. Anyone know of a source.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:33 PM
Desert Mike

For small bearings, gears, etc. try this link. It is for a company that sells to industrial and prototyping shops, and may sell to hobbyists. Their stuff isn't cheap, but it looks like it is of good quality - you don't want to risk your Wyvern with cheap bearings.

http://www.sdp-si.com/