Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Cutoff voltage for Lithium ESC

Old 02-21-2004, 09:54 AM
MinotRich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutoff voltage for Lithium ESC

I bought a couple of lithium ion battery packs for use in my park flyers, and am considering buying a couple of lithium polymer packs as well. Trouble is, I didn't realize until after I had purchased them that you can't discharge these packs below 5 volts (manufacturer recommendation). The esc's I have cut off voltage at 3.7 volts, so it looks like I'm going to have to purchase a new speed control. I have seen recommendations for the Pixie speed controllers, but the programmable one has an adjustable voltage cutoff of 4.8/ 5 volts from what Ive read.
I guess my question is this: Is there a "tolerance" for the low voltage cutoff on esc's when using them with lithium batteries? Is 4.8 volts "safe" or will I risk ruining my batteries? I don't want to spend the time messing with timing my flights, then measuring voltages to establish "safe" flight times for the current esc I have. Or, could someone recommend a speed control that either has a programmable voltage cutoff or is factory set to work with lithium's that won't cost me an arm and a leg?
Thanks, MinotRich
Old 02-21-2004, 10:07 AM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: Cutoff voltage for Lithium ESC

Get a Castle Creations Pixie 20P (or 7P if you are only flying small stuff <7A) - for 2s Lipoly set the cutoff at 6v, for 3s at 9v. You could stretch to 2.5v/cell under load, but it is better to play it safe, especially if you have a slow, floaty type aircraft.

Cheers, Phil
Old 02-21-2004, 11:34 PM
Tweet
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Cutoff voltage for Lithium ESC

Dr. Kiwi,

Why does it matter if the aircraft is slow and floaty?

I too am grappling with the Lipoly cutoff.