Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Prop pros / cons help needed.

Old 02-24-2004, 09:13 AM
HoboDog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop pros / cons help needed.

Hello again,
I need to select a prop for my AXI 4120/14. Using all the charts and helps I can find I have it down to a 13 X 8 or 14 X 6.
It's going on a Clancy Big Bee. Slow stall speed slow flyer.
What are the pros and cons to the various choices I have? Wood vs Nylon? Brand name? Folding? CAM? Slim? Classic?
Should I use some type of electric prop or should I stick with the Nitro / Gas type because it is a fairly large motor?
I already bought one prop that is not compatible with my prop adapter. I reamed it to the correct hole diameter but I would have to add a couple washers to get the nut to tighten all the way down to the prop. Is this normal?
Just to confuse me further one of the recommendations I found is to use a 14 X 7. I can't find a 14 X 7 anywhere.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:34 AM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: Prop pros / cons help needed.

Landing Products (APC) lists a 14x7 thin electric which should do the trick

LP14070E 14X7E Thin Electric Props $4.89

Don't use a gas prop - they are fairly heavy and inefficient for electric use. The APC E range will be plenty strong enough for your purposes and you won't be anywhere near the max. rpm limit for this 14x7 APC E anyway (190,000/14 = 13500 rpm!).

New Creations-RC lists more props than you can shake a stick at. They have the 14x7 APC E (APC14070E), a 14x7 Freudenthaler folding prop HLAN3154 (glass) or HLAN364 (Carbon fiber), and a Robbe 14.5x7 folder (RD7773140). Send an e-mail to Kirk Massey [[email protected]]

Cheers, Phil
Old 02-24-2004, 09:49 AM
HoboDog
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Prop pros / cons help needed.

Once again Phil, you came through. Thanks.