Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

What gear for a 3-4 pound plane?

Old 02-24-2004, 09:10 PM
NitroSpazzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What gear for a 3-4 pound plane?

Here is my question. I would like to know what motor, ESC, battery, gearbox, prop would be the best for a 3-4 pound plane. I want to have plenty of power for hovering and unlimited vertical. The plane is a [link=http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/SPA3D/]SPA3D[/link] which will be built with weight in mind. My nitro version was about 3.5 pounds so I think 3 pounds or less is reasonable. I am pretty sure I will want to go brushless and li-poly if it is cost effective and I can afford it. I have limited electric experiance and am currently building a foamyfactory ultimate biplane with a himaxx 2015-4100 and 3cell etec pack. So anyhelp would be great especially if you could provide links or a price list I would be very thankful. Thank you
Old 02-24-2004, 09:43 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: What gear for a 3-4 pound plane?

Lots of motors out there will supply you with the 400-500-600 watts-in that you will probably need for 3D with a 3-4lb aircraft - Hacker C50, Aveox or Astro, AXI 4120, Phasor 45/3. Then you'll need LiPoly batteries capable of delivering 30-40A (4s4p of TP 2100's?) and an ESC to match.

Do lots of research and you'll find someone out there who knows it all.

Cheers, Phil
Old 02-24-2004, 09:59 PM
NitroSpazzz

Thanks for the motor ideas and the pack size. Now I can start doing some research. I'll look at costs and if its too much for me (soon to be a poor college student) I'll just yank the gear out of my 12 oz foamy factory bipe and make a SPA3D to fit the gear. Thanks again
Old 02-24-2004, 10:54 PM
NitroSpazzz

Ah wow nevermind I can't afford those things, I fly helis...Guess its time to make a 1/2 scale SPA3D made out of 2mm coro and other light weight stuff. Thanks for the ideas though
Old 02-24-2004, 10:59 PM
Dr Kiwi

Hey, I can't afford 'em either 'cos I'm one of your poorly paid Adjunct College Professors - be nice to yours when you get to college!

Cheers, Phil