Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Radioshack brushless fan

Old 02-26-2004, 08:20 PM
aeropete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radioshack brushless fan

I am interested in getting a brushless motor cooling fan from radio shack. It is 4 inches wide, so it looks like it can produce some thrust. It is only 19 bucks and has a motor installed in it. It's also light all together. Here it is http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=273-238 and here are some other ones - http://www.radioshack.com/search.asp?find=fan&SRC=1 Will this work any good, and if it does, can you give me an idea of a good 12 volt battery and brushless speed controller for it? Thanks.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:30 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: Radioshack brushless fan

Look at the power!!!!! It says right on there, "4.2W". That means it is only drawing 350mA. On 12v I'd expect 10A-20A draw, and 100-200W capability, if it were to be any use for an aircraft.

Forget about it!

Cheers, Phil
Old 02-26-2004, 08:47 PM
aeropete

Thanks fo the help. What if you rearrange the motor to take a normal two blade propeller, or the motor there is of no good for any kinds of changes made to let it be possible to use on aircraft? Perhaps a small plane? Does the brushless motor in there have any potential? Thanks again.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:41 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Definintely forget it. That's not the same type of brushless motor as the ones we put in our airplanes. It's much simpler, what I believe is called a 2-pole brushless. It doesn't need a controller to operate.

On top of that, the motor just isn't designed to handle the Watts necessary to fly much of an airplane. The wires won't handle much more than the 350mA of current they take in the computer. You'll smoke it for sure.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:42 AM
wossname

Well, the motors on these things ARE feeble and useless, but the fan blades themselves are incredible. I mounted a 5 blade fan onto a small plane motor last year and its very powerful. The torque is large but not insurmountable.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:36 PM
aeropete

Thanks again. I also place a small 3 volt motor on a mini fan and it produces a good thrust. I might go in and try the bigger fans.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:55 AM
wossname

They can be tough to mount though, try to get one with a steel shaft (usually 3mm) and buy an adaptor that lets you mount it directly to the motor shaft.

Instant pucker factor!