Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

What Connectors for Cobalt 400?

Old 03-01-2004, 08:20 PM
PL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Connectors for Cobalt 400?

Hey guys,

I just received my first Cobalt motor (Wattage Super 400) and I'm wondering what connectors I'm supposed to use? I've only ever used the "normal" Speed 400 motors and they all come with wires! This one just has 2 plain brass pins with no obvious connection means. Am I missing something here???

Thanks
PL
Old 03-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: What Connectors for Cobalt 400?

In view of the potential amp draw of this Cobalt motor (18A-31A max) you need to use 14ga wire and Deans Ultra connectors [unless you want to join my band-wagon and go for 3.5mm Gold Connectors!]. A 30A ESC is recommended so you know you a going to be putting serious current through this thing - what you get out is another thing, but I'm not going there.

Cheers, Phil
Old 03-01-2004, 10:10 PM
PL

Thanks Dr. Kiwi,

I guess I'll be able to surce some of those here in Oz. I got a Wattage IC-30A ESC to drive it so hopefully that will be OK too.

What battery pack would you recommend for this setup in a Zagi/Zagi Clone?

PL
Old 03-02-2004, 09:31 PM
Dr Kiwi

You'll need some of the 10C Lipolys - Irate, Tanic, the new generation TP, E-tec, Kokam - 3s 2600 Tanics might do it, or 3s2p of 1500-2100mAh capacity cells - big money!

For connectors check out www.aircraft-world.com.

Cheers, phil
Old 03-03-2004, 08:40 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

For a more affordable setup, try CP1300 NiCds, or HR4/5AUP NiMH cells. 8 cells and a 5x5 prop on that Cobalt will make your Zagi absolutely SMOKE compared to the OEM setup. Be careful of the dreaded Zagi flap, though. Go too fast without the proper reinforcement, and the plane will turn to rubber in the air.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:56 PM
PL

Hi Matt,

Thanks for that. I was going to try an 8 cell NiMh pack with that motor to start with anyway so I'll see how it goes. A friend and I set up a thrust measuring rig for testing various speed 400's (and trying different timing etc.) so it should be interesting to whack the Cobalt on there! Those Cobalt motors certainly seem like a bargain.

Phil,

Thanks for the link - that site is awesome! Good prices, but the best bit for us here in Oz is the US$2.50 postage! A lot of the US sites are great but often the stuff becomes prohibitively expensive once shipping etc. is added.

PL