Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

020 Astro prop?

Old 03-14-2004, 04:21 PM
jjmretired
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 020 Astro prop?

What prop should I use on a Astro brushless 020 on a Sig Rascal with a 1700ma 8cell pack to get some decent speed? I have a APC 9x6 on it now and it is very slow.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:03 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: 020 Astro prop?

That plane is not meant to fly very fast. Does it climb well?

In general, when you want more speed, go with a propeller with a smaller diameter and a larger pitch.

However, I suspect that the propeller you're using is not large enough to take full advantage of the motor. You might be able to use a propeller with just a higher pitch, like a 9x7. You might be able to increase the size to a 10x7 or 10x8. Be careful, though. Increasing the prop size could cause the motor to draw too much current and destroy itself.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:26 PM
davidfee

Default RE: 020 Astro prop?

Is that Astro 020 geared or direct drive? If direct drive, the 9x6 is way too big. Try something like a 6x4. If geared, what's the ratio? You may well need a bigger prop, as Matt suggested.

Also, make sure your batteries are the low resistance/high drain types. What type of 1700's are they?

Good luck,
-David