Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

GWS flight packs

Old 03-15-2004, 10:10 AM
Myron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS flight packs

Good Morning All,

I am new to the electric stuff and I have a few questions... I purchased a GWS flight pack this weekend... It didnt have a manual so I am wondering what is MAX amperage and voltage I can safely run through that tiny little speed control?.... I just purchased a Wattage Live Wire this weekend and it requires a 30 amp speed control.. I do have one, but I would like to keep the weight down as much as possible. Any imput would be great....

Myron
Old 03-15-2004, 07:57 PM
crashingagain

Default RE: GWS flight packs

There are a few different flight packs, which model # is your speed controll?
Old 03-16-2004, 09:49 AM
Myron

The part # for the kit is GWS2095 and it looks like it is a ICS300 listed on the discription on the box.... the controller is at the house and I just have the box with me at work so I hope that is correct... You replied to an earlier question about calculating the MAh on a battery pack... I am hoping that I can make 2 flight packs from the Dell Laptop battery pack... If so I will have 2 11.1 volt 1900Mah pacs for minimal cost...

Myron
Old 03-17-2004, 02:12 AM
PaulVi

Depending on what Dell laptop battery you are using I assume a newer one that is lithum Ion to get the 11.1 and 1900 mha rating.

the way they wire the pack for the laptop is to take a series parallel combination to gain overall current and voltage

the 11.1 seems to tell me that they are using 3 cells parallel and the 1900 rating is mostlikly due to the pack having 6 cells each 3 cell set is rated at 800 mha to be a combined serial set up of 3s2p

I have seen this setup in dells before.

The main problem with these cells is thier fragile ness if you simply tap one with a sharp obiject it will bleed out its fluid.

Actually i taped one with a xacto knife while remoing some tape from a cell and the cr*p went everywhere. Skin and Eyes need to be flushed it was burning so much. and I have no problem with castic products but that stuff was bad.

Be carfull or spend the money on the newer LiPo packs and chargers thay are safer (I own a PCW with about 100 crashes on it) and no damage to my Bat Packs..

Good luck and be very carfull but most of all have fun.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:12 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

You can look up the ratings on GWS parts at http://www.gws.com.tw. The ICS300 is rated for 8 Amps continuous and 12 Amps surge, 5-8 cells.

An 11.1V Lithium pack will burn the controller out. 11.1V Lithium packs are comparable to 10-cell NiCd or NiMH. Obviously, 10 is more than 8, and cell count (aka voltage) is critical.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:39 AM
Myron

Thanks for the input guys!.. Would it be possible to put a small/light voltage regulator on a homemade 11.1 volt pack and be safe?.... I have access to tons of high end laptop battery packs that are not even in production. We have to "destroy" them as part of our agreement with Dell. I am new to the whole electric model craze that is going on and I am very intriuged by the whole process...
Back to the battery questions though.... Are there ESC's out there that can handle 11.1 volts safely, and what about a charger for said pack? All the laptop batteries that we get have either 1.2 or 3.7 volt cells. The cells I was thinking about using came from an 11.1 volt 3800 Mah pack using 6 cells.. I was under the impression that 3 cells are serial and there are 3 cells piggy backed on those in parallel to get the Mah of 3800... Meaning that the 3 cells in series would be 1/2(1900Mah) the total rating of the whole pack.. Seems like the more I learn, the more I am beating a dead horse when it comes to using these laptop batteries... Bad thing is, I see Li-poly engineering samples coming through here and we have to destroy the pack itself but we can do whatever we want to with the cells. I am just dying to make something work!

Myron