Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

electric motor help

Old 03-17-2004, 07:33 PM
studysession

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric motor help

This is my first time posting in the plane forums, so please take it easy on me.

I am trying to figure out how much power this motor has? I have no clue what I have to be honest. It was given to me from a friend and it is brand new but I have no documentation on this thing. I want to put a longer shaft on the motor but not sure if it is possible.
http://www.atlantahobby.com/shopexd.asp?id=1154

ALSO: What ESC would I use for this?

Many thanks in advance...
Cheers, Keith H
Old 03-17-2004, 08:14 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: electric motor help

Well, considering the area you're coming from, I figure you're expecting to be beat into submission for asking dumb questions, right? We airplane guys are much nicer, more mature...

The technically correct answer to your quesiton about how much power the motor has is: None. The power comes from the battery. A motor simply changes electrical energy into mechanical force, and heat. How much power the motor has depends completely on the number of cells in the battery pack, and the size of the propeller on the front.

Take a look at the table in the lower right hand corner of that page you posted. Three different batteries, three different propellers, three different power outputs. Further applications of this motor can be found at http://www.modelmotors.cz.

Feasibly, this is about a 400 Watt (a little more than 1/2 HP) motor at most. About 10 cells and 40 Amps is the most you can expect from it. How you configure it will depend on the plane you're putting it in.

As far as shaft extensions go, there are what are called "prop adapters" available to make attaching a prop easy. You should be able to buy these at that website, or hobby-lobby.com, and ecubedrc.com has an excellent assortment of prop adapters. "Collet type" adapters are best, IMHO, because they automatically center themselves on the shaft. "Grub screw" types will always be slightly off center, and could induce some vibration and significant power loss.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:06 PM
Xlogic

I use the AXI 28/20/10 in a 45" Nigel Hawes Tucano (54oz) RTF with 10 cell GP 3300 nihm and Castle Creatons Phoenix 45 with a Cam 12.5 x4 prop it pulls 41 amps static less in the air. Virtical is unlimited - well untill you can no longer see the plane anyways.

Thats a very nice motor you have there and a good friend for giving it to you.

Mike
Old 03-18-2004, 08:16 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

You know, I never really said anything about practical applications for this motor. Realistically, it will power a slow floater up to 5lbs, and an unlimited aerobatic plane up to 3lbs. Since 2lbs of that weight is going to be battery, motor, ESC, and prop, you'll need to build light.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:47 PM
studysession

Xlogic Yeah - he is a good friend. I think I will need one with more power for what I am trying to do though.

Many thanks for the info - anyone else that has any input or experience for this motor would be great.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:13 PM
studysession

Another question about this motor:
I am putting pinion/spur gears on this motor. I am not putting a prop on it. Q. What is consider to tall of gearing for this motor? I want a 1:1 or better gear ratio.

Cheers.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:51 PM
Xlogic

ORIGINAL: studysession

Another question about this motor:
I am putting pinion/spur gears on this motor. I am not putting a prop on it. Q. What is consider to tall of gearing for this motor? I want a 1:1 or better gear ratio.

Cheers.
I don't think I have seen a gearbox for a rotating can motor, if there is one it must be new.

Mike
Old 03-18-2004, 06:08 PM
studysession

The gear setup is something that I designed myself. Will be redoing it this Sunday if all goes well. I am trying to figure out what is to much stress for this motor. I am going to put a lot of stress on this motor. I am trying to figure out what gear would be to tall for it.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:30 PM
Xlogic

Hmmm all I can say is just in the motor specs which is maximum efficiency is between 15 and 26 amps, it sustain 40 amps for 60 secs. You might need to make a test bed with whatever you are gonna use the motor on and check the amp draw with various gear ratio's. I just don't know what else to say beyond that.

Mike
http://www.ncrcf.org
Old 03-18-2004, 06:34 PM
studysession

Thanks for the help.

If anyone else has any input I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2004, 10:17 AM
studysession

Another question: Where could I get pinion gears for this motor?
Old 03-25-2004, 03:58 PM
studysession

I have the pinion gears now!!!