Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Watt Prop is Best

Old 03-23-2004, 12:46 PM
JBoss
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watt Prop is Best

Hello,
I have a Mini Telemaster. All out flying weight is 25 ox 11.4 0z wing loading. I put in a 480 motor on a 2.3:1 gearbox. I started with a 9 by 5 master airscrew prop. It seems that it may be drawing to many amps as the speed controller will cut out way to often. I could only get an 8*4 at my local hobby shop. On the bench there is considerably less thrust went from 15 oz of thrust to 12 oz. thrust. Any suggestions. I am also using 1700 mAh 8 AA cell packs. and a JETI 180 speed controller

Any prop suggestions on this set up

Thanks
JBoss
Old 03-25-2004, 01:19 PM
Joe Ford

Default RE: Watt Prop is Best

How many servos are you using with the Mini Telemaster? The Jeti 180's only rated for 3 servos. Also what brand 480 motor are you using and whats the voltage rating? 6v, 7.2v? I ran a # of setups thru motocalc and the highest amp draw I could come up with for your setup was 10A...thats why I asked about your servos/esc. Your esc can handle the amps being generated...but it may not be able to handle the # of servos youre using.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:13 PM
JBoss

Thanks for the reply.
It is a speed 480 race 7.2 volts. I propped down to a 8 by 4 from the LHS all they had and the ut out stopps but its a bit under powered.
I am starting to think that the sanyo 1700 AA cells I bought on closeout for a buck each may be the culprit. if its not a fresh charge there is no power but when put on the bench speed 400 dumper it will run almost 10 minutes before hitting 5-6 volts. fresh off the charger is a different story. Climbs right out before settling down.
What do you think
I did get an ampmeter and the plane setup will draw 8.6 amps with the 8 by 4 prop. did not test the 9 by 5 prop yet but I will.
here is a great calc I found on another post. Thanks all you rc universe users this place is full of info.

http://brantuas.com/ezcalc/dma.asp

Thanks again
Jim B
Old 03-25-2004, 03:36 PM
Joe Ford

The only 1700mah batts that can handle 12-15A+ that I know of are the 1700AUP's...I suspect you have either AE's or AU's...probably the AU's...theyre only rated for 8-12A...they have a tendency to have problems right about the mark youre talking about with the 9x5, which explains why the 8x4 works. Here's a better motor simulation program. www.motocalc.com You get a free 30 day trial...MUCH more options as far as motor, esc, batteries, props, speed controller, etc. More accurate too. If you really want to be able to run full throttle with the 9x5 you're going to need to get better batteries...try KAN 1050's...can handle the amps youre talking about and then some...can get em for $1.25/cell at www.battlepack.com Look in the "Sale" section. Your run times would be a bit shorter but you'd be able to go full throttle without a hitch...they also weigh .4oz less per cell so your ship would be lighter...if you want to fork over some money though, go for the 1700AUPs...they weigh the same as the ones youre using now but can handle 25A. Let me know if ya need any more help...always willing.

Joe
Old 03-25-2004, 04:59 PM
JBoss

That is a great help. And a bit of confirmation goes a long way. I do not run full throttle except to take off 1/2 to 5/8 is more my style. And yes you are good, They are 1700 AU's. I will stick with the 8" prop but try a few diff pitches. 2 bucks a prop why not. And I do have 2 packs of 950 kans and they do outperform the sanyo AU's.
I will keep you informed of my trials. You have been a great help.

Thanks
Jim B
Old 03-25-2004, 05:29 PM
Joe Ford

No problem always happy to help