Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

electric engines for UAV

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 05:06 AM
jonnyfish45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric engines for UAV

Hi,

I am building a UAV at uni, and was wonering if you guru's could give any advice on engine choice. I understand that my vehicle is a little out of the normal modeller range, but i would appreciate your advice.

The UAV will be about 19lb including engines and batteries, with a wing loading of 30.6oz/ft^2, and a stall speed of 25kts.
I dont know much about power, but we aim to fly for 30min, or greater if possible.

Thankyou,
Jonathon Webb
Old 03-26-2004, 06:53 AM
xphasor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: electric engines for UAV

You'll want something brushless and powered by LiPo's, but this gear selection will be a doddle compared with designing and implementing your control system. Are you aiming to compete in something? I suggest you have a look at the recent PC-104 implementations of Mortorola's MPC555 processor. We are using that processor for race car engine management and data acquisition (including 3 axis accelerometers and GPS which is where out projects overlap).
Email me if you want to discuss this:
[email protected]
Jules.