Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

IPS to EPS

Old 03-31-2004, 01:13 PM
Centrox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IPS to EPS

I just started flying a GW/PICO-J3 with an IPS-DX2BB-AXCS motor and EP-1047 prop. This came standard with my kit and is designed for indoor flying. All of my flying however is done outdoors and it looks like I don't have enough power to get the plane to climb more than a few feet in 2-5 mile an hour winds. I'd like to upgrade to an EPS to get a little more and power and speed but I don't know where to start. I'd like to stick with GWS power systems so I can use the same mount that already in my plane. I'm new to this hobby and understand nothing about motors, gears and props. I've looked at the charts on the GWS web site but am not sure eactly what I'm looking at/for.

I'd also like to keep using the same batteries if possible. I'm currently using a 7.2V 400mAh (NI-CD) battery as suggested by the manual.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-31-2004, 01:40 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: IPS to EPS

The simplest upgrade would be to use the GWS Twin DX-A version of that motor shown [link=http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/motors/TwinRXCView.asp?ProductId=S031003]here[/link] at Balsa Products. You will draw up to 4amps instead of 2amps but have lots more power and only add 0.5oz to your plane.

Good luck!
Old 04-01-2004, 06:15 PM
Dr Kiwi

Greg, I just wonder whether Centrox'd be even better off with the RLC 4.8v A-geared twin motor, since he is using only a 6-cell NiCd?

Cheers, Phil
Old 04-01-2004, 07:44 PM
Centrox

Would I gain more flight time and power with the RLC 4.8v running at 7.2v? Would I need to invest in a couple of heat sinks to extend the life of the engine?
Old 04-02-2004, 08:33 AM
Dr Kiwi

You should be using heat sinks on ANY IPS motor.

You will get a LOT more power using RLC on 7.2v versus RXC on 7.2v. Of course you will be drawing more current, so to get longer flight times you WILL have to increase your battery capacity.[of course with more power available you may find that you'd only have to run the RLC's at partial throttle, where the RXC's would have to be at WOT all the time].

I don't have enough teststand figures to give you meaningful comparison, but one example I found, was RLC E-geared v RXC E-geared, each on 2s Lipoly with a 9x7 RS prop. The RLC produced 6.27oz thrust (3.3A, 26W), the RXC 2.11oz (0.8A, 7W).

Cheers, Phil
Old 04-02-2004, 12:59 PM
Centrox

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and picked up the RLC and a pair of heat sinks. Strange thing is the IPS seems to mount sideways compared to the original. I'll give it a test flight today during lunch and report back how it went.

UPDATE:
Well, that solved my problem. I've got more than enough thrust without going over 1/2 throttle. She flew a little awkward but I think that was the wind and lack of trim on the plane. I made some minor adjustments and was about to put her up again when I discovered I'd bent the prop axle. Guess I'll have to replace it tonight and try again tomorrow morning.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:37 PM
Dr Kiwi

Yes, that "sideways" mounting is weird isn't it. I'm pleased that my theoretical suggestions seem to have borne fruit. Let us know how it goes next time around.

Cheers, Phil