Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

GWS Tiger Moth motor uograde?

Old 03-31-2004, 01:14 PM
mgdon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS Tiger Moth motor uograde?

I apoligize as I suspect this has probably been covered before but I'm fairly new to this list.
I've managed to burn out one stock GWS motor on my Moth already-on my second one now.
I'm running a Kokam 750 2 cell Lipoly, APC 9/6 prop and pixie esc.
I was wondering if there are any mild upgrades for this motor especially one where I can use the stock gearbox or another stock GWS gearbox that mounts the same way.
I'd like to use the same battery and esc so brushless motors are out for now.
I'm not looking for a screamer -don't want to lose the nice floater qualities it has now- just would like a little more performance for mild aerobatics.
Any suggestions?
Old 03-31-2004, 01:34 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: GWS Tiger Moth motor uograde?

Your constraints still allow for one of the two of the easiest upgrades. Two can replace the stock DX-A motor with the Twin version shown [link=http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/motors/TwinRXC.asp]here[/link] at Balsa Products. This version does draw up to 4amps so be certain that your Kokam 750 pack can supply this. I am not familiar with that cell.

Additionally, you can increase your prop size to an 11x4.7.

The other way to increase power is to use a DX-C motor on a 3-cell Lithium pack. You will still only draw about 2amps but your power level is increased by 50% due to the extra voltage. Power = I x E

Good luck!
Old 04-01-2004, 12:37 AM
mgdon

Greg,
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions.
I'm afraid I have a couple more.
The DX-C motor you mentioned- Should I use it with my present gearbox or do I need to get the DX-C whole system.(motor/gearbox)?
I'm having a hard time navigating through all the different GWS motor names-what is the complete name for the DX-C motor or Motor/gearbox you suggest?
What prop would you recommend?-I kind of like the way that APC 9/6 works with my stock motor.
My present battery pack is a Kokam 2 cell 750mah LIpoly(from FMA) and I figure with the way I'm flying I would probably get at least 30 minutes before I have to charge it.
What size 3 cell (mah) should I get to approach that amount of flying time with whatever prop you suggest?
Thanks in advance for your response-hopefully I won't be a newbie forever.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:00 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

mgdon,

I would buy the whole system, gears and motor(s). The dual motor setup is IPSD-RXC-__
The last digit defines the gear ratio. The dual motor is a good upgrade for the TM. I did it and was very pleased.

The IPSD will not fit quite right in you mounting stick - it will sit sideways, and your cowling will not fit anymore. I just flew mine like that with the cowling off, but you can cut your stick out and re-glue it after turning it 90 degrees and things will be Ok.

If you upgrade, I would add a screw to hold the motor on. Mine flew off in flight once. And I would do the wing mod to strengthen it. I folded mine while going loop crazy.

I bought the IPSD-RXC-1 and used a 9047 prop. I am not sure if an 11" prop will clear the ground with the stock landing gear.

GWS has tables which define their power system setups. Find these on the GWS website, they are very helpful.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:34 PM
barelias

i got a 280 motor, how would it do with the gws tiger moth? have any one tried that?
would the 280 motor be ok with the 10amp speed controller?
Old 08-29-2004, 03:29 PM
Dr Kiwi

The 280 is probably too heavy in relation to its ouput for the Tiger Moth. It would certainly be okay with a 10A ESC because it won't pull more than 5A or so.

The most recent upgrade uption for the IPS powered TM is obviously the Feigao brushless (drop in replacement, able to produce about twice the power of a standard IPS, yet never wear out). Search in www.rcgroups.com, electric forums, for the developing thread on the Feigao's performance.

Example: Feigao in IPS E-geared box, on 3s 830: 10x6 GWS HD prop: 4260 rpm, 7.75oz thrust at just 2.3A draw: 11x7 GWS HD prop, 3870 rpm, 10.63oz thrust at 3.1A draw.

Cheers, Phil