Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

GWS vs. APC??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 08:35 PM
RCaillouet3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS vs. APC??

Question: What prop is better for electric power GWS or APC, and what may your reason be for using that one over the other?

My answer: Still to new to electric to know of any differences yet! Sorry

Reg
Old 04-02-2004, 10:24 PM
cafplanekid
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: GWS vs. APC??

Both are good in different ways. APC props can handle more RPM's and are said to be more efficient, but i have found they are easier to snap than GWS, which bend quite a bit. At really high RPM's the GWS props flex and lose efficiency, from what i understand. For slow flying, low-rpm planes GWS work really well. APC prop come in a wider range of sizes and look alot nicer. GWS props are slightly cheaper, and easier to find in a store around here. This is based on the GWS slowfly type props, i dont have any experience with the new HyperDrive series, but these are supposed to be pretty nice, too. Personally, i prefer APC props, they just look nicer and are easier to use with prop adapters, and GWS doesnt make any props that are big enough for some of my motors. I hope that helps
Jonathan
Old 04-02-2004, 10:34 PM
Dr Kiwi

Good advice from Jonathan. Let me add that I've used the GWS HD props on my test stand quite a bit, but as yet not in the air, and they seem to be very efficient, and they are a lot tougher than the RS series or APC SF props. I think the pitch values for the HD series are a bit lower than their labels would indicate. They produce very good thrust numbers under static conditions - how that translates to performance in the air - someone must know, but I don't yet.

Cheers, Phil
Old 04-02-2004, 11:32 PM
cafplanekid

Next time i order something, ill have to buy some HD props too. Ive heard GWS will be coming out with some different color props, too. I can only take so many orange props! I think people have been reporting higher speeds with the HD props, but dont quote me on that.
Jonathan
Old 04-03-2004, 08:14 PM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

I still use GWS props on some of my planes. I color them with a very wide, black magic marker. Yhey look pretty good too! GWR
Old 04-04-2004, 02:55 AM
Me-109K4

I got a HD prop when I ordered my mega motor, but when I went to put it on, the hub was too thick. I had an old apc laying around and tried it, and it fit, it is dished around the hole.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:07 PM
MAKODS

The HD props do work well on GWS gear boxes but the cut out for the nut is larger than the nuts for the 300EPS gear box so I put the rear prop nut first then a metal washer then a rubber sink faucet type washer then the prop another metal washer and finally the outer
prop nut (you got all that). The HD's draw low amps but to get the same thrust it is best to go one prop size more than the SF props. For example if you are using a 9 x 7 SF prop then for the same thrust you so go to a 10 x 6 HD.