Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives
Reload this Page >

Still having big problems with brushless setup

Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Still having big problems with brushless setup

Old 04-03-2004, 08:30 PM
cropdusterdave
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still having big problems with brushless setup

I just started flying a 3D foamy with a brushless setup. I have a Himax 2015-4100 with a Pheonix 25 ESC and a Kokam 3 cell 1200 Mah pack and a 6:6:1 gearbox swinging a GWS 12X6 prop. I had mistakenly set the LVC at 7.2V instead of 9V and was only getting 6-7 minute flights. after flying I would only get 400 Mah back into the pack. On my charger...I discharged it down to 9V and took out a bunch more Mah and charged it back up to full peak at 12.6V and put about 1000 Mah into it. Upon programming the LVC back to 9V...My LVC kicks in as soon as I advance the throttle past half. I can't even fly 20 seconds. As far as I can tell...everything is hooked up right. Is there something obvious that I'm missing? This is getting very frustrating to say the least!

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Dopesick

Default RE: Still having big problems with brushless setup

Sounds to me like you may have "depleted" that li-po pack. I would suggest trying a different 3cell pack and see if the same occurs.
One you "deep cycle" a li-po a couple of times, they're basically dead.

to me it sounds as if this may have happened on your pack. to verify, hook up a volt meter to the battery leads and see what voltage the pack is putting out.

it is also possible you may have mis-programed your esc?
Old 04-03-2004, 09:05 PM
cropdusterdave

I reprogrammed the esc today. The only thing I changed from factory setting was the LVC. This is a fairly new pack and I"ve only had 4 flights on it. I'd hate to believe that I bought a bad $40 pack...
Old 04-03-2004, 10:26 PM
cropdusterdave

The battery pack I'm using is a Kokam 3 cell rated at 5C as sold at allerc.com. I don't know much about LiPos, but do I need more than a 5C rating?
Old 04-03-2004, 11:30 PM
NMPhi767

I think you do. That pack at 5C will only give you 6 amps draw. Your motor wants to draw 10 amps. This might explain why your esc is cutting off as you increase the throttle. You could try a Thunder power 3s 2100 mah pack. They are rated at 5C and that would give you the discharge you need. Just a touch over 10 amps. I think they have higher discharge batteries coming out this month as well. Another option would be a Tanic 3S 1500 mah pack. These are rated at 10C (15 amps) and would give you more than enough draw.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:34 PM
cropdusterdave

That's good news...kind of. I guess I don't want to drop the bucks on another pack but if it'll perform well I'd be glad to. Do you have a web site for Tanic?
Old 04-03-2004, 11:49 PM
NMPhi767

Yeah, I know. I have had the same thing happen to me though. I had a lipo that had a small capacity and my esc kept cutting out. It took me awhile to put it together that this never happened with higher capacity packs. Either way I buy my tanic packs from [link=http://www.e-flightline.com]E-Flightline[/link]. The customer service is pretty awesome so if you give them a call and let them know about your situation, they will probably make a good call for you. They know way more about this stuff than I do.The batteries are a pretty hot item so they are on backorder sometimes. Good luck with that.