Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Installing a pinion on Himaxx motor shaft

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 09:20 PM
mattalbr
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a pinion on Himaxx motor shaft

So I went to the Toledo show on Friday and picked up a Fliton Flubber, a Himaxx 2015-4100 brushless motor, adapter plate for hooking up to GWS gearbox, and GWS C pinion.

How do I put the pinion on the motor's shaft correctly and safely? I do NOT want to mess up the motor by applying too much pressure or just getting "gorilla" with it.

Has anybody tried this setup, and if so, how does it work for you? Any other similar motor ideas? I wouldn't mind picking up one more brushless unit to swap in and out of my planes.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:18 PM
Ernest-T
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Installing a pinion on Himaxx motor shaft

A drill press works well. Open the jaws enough to fit on the pinion, but still allowing the shaft to go through the center as you press it on. Be sure the center section of the back of the motor (where the back of the shaft is) is what you are pushing against (not the motor casing). If you look very closely at the pinion, you may see that one side has a slight bevel around the opening. This is the side you should start on the shaft.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:34 PM
mattalbr

Thanks for the hint.....now to find a drill press.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:04 PM
crewchief_432

Yuo can also use a vice. Thats what I use, Just get the pinon started by putting the back plate of the motor aginst one side of the vice and hold the pinon to the shaft and turn the vice with your third arm. Be carefull not to push it on too far. after you get it started take and put a block of wood or a nut that will allow the shaft to fit in but not the pinon, I use a old pinon from a rc car motor, it holds the small pinon in place for me while I press it the rest of the way on. but wood works just as good. Hope this helps..Jeremy
Old 04-04-2004, 01:35 PM
Dr Kiwi

Here's a photo to show you how can use a vice to do the job. This is a Mini AC 1215/20.

Cheers, Phil
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58402.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	118717  
Old 04-04-2004, 01:52 PM
mattalbr

Thanks again for all the help people. I appreciate it.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:52 PM
Dopesick

from the picture it is hard to tell.. Dr. Kiwi.. I hope you have the entire motor far enough into the vise to support the shaft.

NEVER ever press on a motor without supporting the shaft at the back side fo the motor!!! You will ruin the motor!