Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

What are the benefits of a brushless motor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 07:51 PM
Bret1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the benefits of a brushless motor?

This is a newby question. What are the benefits of using a brushless motor? Is it better quality, longer life, the ability to pull more amps to fly faster...all of the above? Are their other benefits? If it is the ability to pull more amps to fly faster, doesn't the weight of the additional cells to run it offset the ability to pull more amps?
Old 04-07-2004, 07:08 AM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What are the benefits of a brushless motor?

You do not necessarly need more cells to run a brushless motor. Also they are more efficient than brushed motors. Lots more power for their weight!
Old 04-07-2004, 10:15 AM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

Let's say all things being equal, batts, motor weight, etc.
If you replaced a brushed motor with a brushless motor that's designed for the same application, more than likely you'd get more power, longer runtime, and much less maintenance.

A brushless motor thats properly taken care of (kept clean, and bearings cleaned regularly) will last indeffinately. A brushed motor has a limited lifespan, and since we usually run quite a bit more power through them than they are designed for, their lifespan is much less than expected. I went brushless in all of my planes almost 2 years ago, and haven't had to replace a motor (except for crash damage) since.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:22 AM
KingCobra
My Feedback: (17)

I've been struggling to understand the factors of going brushless, too. In particular, you always see a higher current draw listed for the brushless motors. Consequently, it seems you need a bigger battery pack to provide the needed current. And it seems the power and efficiency you gain with a brushless motor is then offset by a weight gain with a heavier, stronger battery. And if the curent draw is higher for the brushless, how are the flight times longer (particularly if "all things being equal" as stated above, you're using the same battery)? Carlton Campbell
Old 04-10-2004, 02:20 PM
johnathan

HI King and Bret1
A brush-less motor has the ability or shall we say range to handle higher amperage safely. But you can expect more power on the same number of cells that you use on your present brushed motor. When your brushed motor is maxed out on say 8 cells most brush-less motors have the ability to use 10 or more cells. Along with the ability to Handel in some cases 3 times the current [more power].

Not to be confused with requiring more current to to do the work. Just the opposite is most often the case less current required to turn the same prop meaning longer run time on the same battery pack. I presently own 3 commercially made brush-less and half a dozen custom wound cdrom outrunner type brussless motors.

Once you have experienced the power and versatility of brush-less it is hard to go back to the brushed motors. The prices have continued to drop and power increase. A very exciting time in electric flight indeed. Remember that a brush-less speed controller is also needed. But for around $100 you can have unlimited vertical and longer flight time. Plus a motor that doesn't wear out barring a catastrophic event [crash] . Johnathan
Old 04-11-2004, 08:04 AM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Johnathon has it right! The limitation of brushed motors is their inability to to survive high amps like a brushless motor can.