Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Gws gearbox gear change

Old 04-24-2004, 08:28 AM
Jmak1
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gws gearbox gear change

When changing gearing on the gws gearbox do you have to change the pinion gear? I changed the big gear from a b to a d and it seems to work fine. I am running a himax 2015-4100 in a foamy 540.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:05 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: Gws gearbox gear change

Pinions and spurs are matched so that the distance between motor shaft and drive shaft remains the same. If you change one but not the other you will have a mismatch (perhaps small in changing from B to D but a mismatch nonetheless). The bigger diameter the spur gear is, the smaller diameter the pinion HAS to be and vice versa.

If that's a GWS 300 gearbox: Your B ratio was 62/14 = 4.43. D ratio should be 66/10 = 6.60, but you have made it 66/14 = 4.71. That (bigger than it should be) 14T pinion will be meshing deeper, and perhaps binding in the (also bigger) 66T spur - and, of course, you haven't changed your ratio as much as you really wanted to!

Cheers, Phil
Old 04-25-2004, 09:00 PM
Jmak1

that explains alot of what is happing now thank you
Old 04-26-2004, 07:26 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Yep, you're much better off buying complete gearboxes for each ratio, since you basically have to change out everything but the frame anyway...
Old 04-27-2004, 07:23 PM
Dopesick

Besides the fact taht you no longer have a standard gear ratio of D also. Since you only have HALF of the D setup it's not a true gearing.

Also agree'd with matt. Change both Spur and Pinion.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:39 AM
jonnyjetprop
My Feedback: (3)

I believe that Bishop's power products sells an adaptor plate that would allow you to just change the spur gear. The gearing still won't be the same as the stock GWS because you're not changing the pinon.

John
Old 04-28-2004, 07:47 AM
Jmak1

That is what I have a b p p adapter plate and a himax brushless. the gear change just didnt seem right and no matter how I ajust the mesh it stills seems to bind a little on start up, so I ordered a whole set up with the D pinion.