Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives
Reload this Page >

first plane almost done, but might have the wrong esc

Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

first plane almost done, but might have the wrong esc

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 05:54 AM
Catkicker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first plane almost done, but might have the wrong esc

i'm about 3/4's of the way finished with my e-starter from gws. its the new model that came with a eps-400c. i bought a 8.4v/730 nimh for it and a isc-100. which are recommended in the manual. only later in the manual it says to use a isc-400. it is a gear driven motor, but i dont know the ratio. what i dont know is if the isc-100 will handle the 9+ amp draw that the motor can put out or not. anyone know?
Old 05-01-2004, 09:31 AM
crashingagain

Default RE: first plane almost done, but might have the wrong esc

The Gws speed controlls are conservatively rated but I think that an ics 100 would burn up with a 400 on the prop youll yeed for the plane. Get at least an ics300
Old 05-01-2004, 02:49 PM
Catkicker

thanks for the reply, i figured as much, but wanted to make sure. one thing i've learned from building this e starter is that gws must have the worst manuals and support of any company. i doubt i'll buy anything else gws if i can get something comparable from another company.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:01 AM
crashingagain

Youve got gws all wrong, sure their manuals are written in twinglish but they have a wide variety of planes and products and the prices are low. They are always updating things like motors so the many times the items required( like sp controlls) change but the box never gets updated. Same with the manuals. Even the wrong props come in some boxes. You get what you pay for, and for $35 the E starter is well worth the money compared to other manufacturers planes, the downside is you will have to do research on places like this to set it up properly and looking around here is alot of fun anyhow.
Old 05-02-2004, 02:40 AM
Catkicker

funny you should mention props, the did send me the wrong one, just another reason i'm not too happy with them. a hobby is supposed to be relaxing, not aggravating. i hope the whole industry isnt as bad at writing manuals or including needed information with their products. i just hope the US center for gws is able to post corrected manuals and guides soon or the a10 will be my last gws product.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:52 PM
crashingagain

If you think gws's manuals are bad you should try some of the czech models from hobbylobby, hope you can read fuzzy pictures
Old 05-05-2004, 08:10 PM
WolfeWind

Heya Guys,

I just finished building the E-Starter as my first ARF build and my first foam build. I too had some trouble "deciphering" the instructions, but I think that is because they assume you know something about building. The pictures are confusing at first without the enough written explanations to back them up. I took me a bit of head scratching to eventually figure it all out.

I have flown it 3 times now and learned a couple of things. The first is that the landing gear will break immediately on your fist less than perfect landing, which for me was the first landing lol. I would leave that off the first few flights. The second is that the battery holder pops put of the plane on even a minor crash or very hard landing - so add some tape over it to help hold in the battery. I also had the wing come loose on a cartwheel landing - the screw down was not srong enough to hold it - so I put some bamboo skewers through the fuse so I could rubber band it on along with the bolt down system. The holes for the hold down dowels are already in the fuse if you look closely.

On the good side though, it flew fairly well for my first build. (LOL I was slightly surprised it flew at all). It flys well as a 3-channel, which is how I set it up with just rudder and elevator) and I am sure will fly even better as a 4-channel. It is faster than I expected and handled a light wind reasonable well. I like the plane and would recommend it. I am thinking about getting another one to set up as 4-channel with trike landing gear.

I agree that the GWS ARF's are a really good value and I will definitely get more of them.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:17 PM
rn68123

Hello, out there,
I am still pretty new at this, and I enjoy the E-Starter immensley. I reinforced the gear with a 50X30 1/64th ply patch over the plastic gear retainer, used dowels and rubber bands for the wing retainer (didn't think this up - read about the weak links on this site). Right now it's in the hangar, getting the empennage epoxyed back on, but the gear is tough! Bends, but hasn't even loosened. I fly it stock, and have a lot of fun learning the four channel drill. I agree with the comments about the manual, but just read it first, then go carefully. I once ended up with both rudder and elevator servo horns on the same side of the airplane. You guys are great. As soon as I can figure out the appropriate battery, ESC and receiver combo, I am going to put a GSW 400 in the next one, still safely in the box.
Cheers.