Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 02:16 AM
Martinus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!!

I have a 16 turn single wind motor and want to change the number of turns to 10, now if i do this using the same guage magnet wire there will be less copper around each pole - in fact i belive that with careful placement of the turns i could fit 2 winds of the same guage wire or 1 wind with wire twice as thick as the orig guage so my question is this:
Is it better to use 1 wind of wire that is double the thickness of the original wire or 2 winds of the same guage wire that was on the armature originally ? ie, will there be less resistance with 2 winds or with a single wind ? Or would the resistance be equal either way?
I look forward to your replies
Old 05-14-2004, 03:00 AM
Martinus

Default RE: help!!

i guess what im really asking is this: does 2 wires of equal diameter and length that are joined at the ends have more or less resistance than 1 wire that is double the diameter but the same length as one of the afore mentioned wires? and why?
when rewinding this armature i want to go with the path of least resistance
Old 05-14-2004, 08:45 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

It's my understanding that electrons flow on the surface of the wire. That's one of the main reasons for stranded wire. Many smaller wires have less resistance than a single solid wire of the same overall diameter. The other is that its more flexible. You may find that it's difficult to wind the motor with the thicker wire. Regardless, two wires will carry twice as much current as one, as long as all three wires are the same diameter
Old 05-14-2004, 08:16 PM
Martinus

Thanks for your reply Matt; after reading your reply i think i will use a double wind of the same guage wire that was on the armature originally - going by what you said that will have less resistance than a single wire twice the guage of the orig wiring and the least resistance is what im hoping for, thanks
Old 05-16-2004, 12:34 AM
rcelectfly

"It's my understanding that electrons flow on the surface of the wire."

This is true for very high voltage AC. Not true for our applications.

Chuck
Old 05-16-2004, 04:18 AM
Martinus

hi Chuck, thx for your comments, so should i go with the 1 wind with large diameter wire or go with 2 winds using the same guage wire that was on the armature originally ?
gettin confused now lol