Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Astro Flight Colbalt 05 Help

Old 05-21-2004, 12:05 PM
mattress67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Astro Flight Colbalt 05 Help

I’m blowing off the dust on some of my electric airplanes I used ten years ago utilizing an Astro Cobalt geared 05. With the advent of Li-Poly batteries, do you have any recommendations on what type of Li-Poly pack I should use? I typically used 6-7 cell NiCd packs in the past.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:30 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Astro Flight Colbalt 05 Help

If this is your motor, an Astro Flight 605G, then you will greatly benefit by using the higher voltage and lower weight of Lithium cells.

Since these motors can run on a 10-cell NiCd pack, your best power benefit comes from using the higher voltage which can also reduce your current draw.

A 3-cell Lithium pack has a similar voltage to a 10-cell NiCd pack. These motors can draw up to 35amps so you want a pack that can deliver this range of current.

One such pack (and there are others) is the [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/thunderpower.htm]TP420032[/link] 3s2p ThunderPower 4200mAh pack at Hobby Lobby. This pack is a great size and will provide plenty of power to your Astro Flight 05 motor with only a 9oz weight.

Another possibility is the [link=https://www.fmadirect.com/site/fma.htm?body=Store]KOK2100-20C-2S-DNS[/link] 3-cell Kokam 2AH pack at FMA Direct. This is a less expensive pack but also has a lower capacity of 2100mAh which should provide a decent flight time.

Good luck and welcome to the Electric Aircraft Forums of RC Universe!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15565.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	134720  
Old 05-21-2004, 05:07 PM
mattress67

Thanks Greg for the response. Those are some pretty pricey packs! Maybe I should I just stick with 6-7 cell NiMH packs? In the past I used to carry a couple of NiCd packs and just switch them out. I'd then fast charge while I flew. Each pack was good for 6-7 minutes, but with three packs flight would be almost continous (fast charge was about 15 minutes). Are the Li-poly really worth the cost?
Old 05-28-2004, 08:40 PM
Wingman33

I have some 05 cobalts and I would recomend useing GB 3300 Nimh cells for the 40 amps your going to pull or you could go Lipo at about 4 times the cost. Cheers Mike B.