Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

ESC and Motor WIRES

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 07:32 PM
cerm78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC and Motor WIRES

My ESC manual say to cut the ESC wires to the lenght I need, but DO NOT cut the motor wires (Phoenix 45). My motor (Aveox 36/30/2) has very long wires and it would be nice for the set up if I cut the motor wires a little (and the ESC wires almost chopped off).

Why does the ESC manual say not to cut the Motor wires and the motor documentation doesn't say anything about that? What happen if I cut the motor wires? Is there a safe/correct way to shorten the length of those wires?

Thanks a lot!
Old 06-03-2004, 09:16 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: ESC and Motor WIRES

It's certainly quite odd that they would say that in the instructions. Some motors don't come with any wires at all... As to the effect of cutting the wires, I've read that wires that are too long (or too short?) can mess up the timing.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:13 PM
cerm78

So you think I can safely cut the motor wires a bit for better fitting? The current length is about two inches and a half, and I'm thinking to cut them to one inch.

Please I need advice... Thankyou!!
Old 06-04-2004, 06:22 PM
cerm78

Heeeeelp!!

I want to build my heli but I need to know if I can cut the motor wires, although the ESC manual say not to do so...

Help me please!!
Old 06-07-2004, 06:01 PM
cerm78

I have found an article in other RC site/forum (which I would not mention just for respect) that says:

"...
One note of warning - if you have one of the smaller diameter 27 series (or older 1000 series) motors, DO NOT CUT THE MOTOR WIRES! Aveox supplies the motors with the wires pre-tinned, but if you cut them you'll find the coated wires will need to have the coating removed to accept solder. Not an easy task! This does not apply to the 36 series motors, which have have uncoated stranded wires extending out of the motor.
..."

So it seems that it's safe for me to cut the motor wires a little, but some Aveox motors (27xx and 1000 series) need the wires to be treated if they're cut.

I'll proceed...

Thank you all.