Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Not Enough Power With My Slow Stick

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 09:07 PM
bmatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Enough Power With My Slow Stick

Hello All,

I recently decided to venture into the world of electric flight and bought a GWS Slow Stick (w/ EPS300c motor). It has gotten rave reviews online so I figured it would be a great plane. I took it out this evening and was disappointed by the power I was getting. I only had enough power to maintain flight for about a minute and couldn't climb more that 15-20 degrees. After that I could barley keep it flying for 30 seconds. Does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening? I noticed the engine started to sputter after a minute and the battery was getting warm. I ran the battery down and am going to recharge it after it cools down. One other thing, before I secured the tail (the manufacture installation didn't hold at all) I ran it into the ground as the tail came off and bend the prop shaft a little. I bent it as straight as possible but the still wobbles at the tip a little. Could this cause my power problem?

Here are a list of my components:
- Stock Motor
- Upgraded to 12x6 prop
- 1100 mah NiMh battery (7 cells)
- Great Planes C-10 Micro ESC
- GWS Micro Receiver

Another couple of questions:
- Is there a way to tell if the motor is running at full throttle?
- Should I upgrade motors? (It seems like everyone else is fine with the stock motor)

Thanks
Old 06-03-2004, 09:23 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Not Enough Power With My Slow Stick

The bent prop shaft isn't doing it any good, that's for sure. You're probably eating up a lot of Amps just overcoming the excessive friction caused by the bent shaft. That would cause the battery to get warm.

NiMH batteries need a few cycles to get into their "groove," though yours should be performing better on such a light load. How are you charging them?
Old 06-03-2004, 09:40 PM
bmatt

I am charging the battery with a Great Planes charger at 800 mah. I never drained and fully charged the battery until tonight. I will try to fly again in the morning. Hopefully your right and the battery just needs to get in the groove. Do you recommend a full drain and recharge every time? Also what can I do about the prop shaft. Is it replaceable?

Thanks
Old 06-03-2004, 11:16 PM
PHIL I.

[8D]
It will take 3 to 5 cycles to get the full charge and run time.....
[8D]
PHIL I.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:33 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, prop shafts are available. If you can't find them at your usual shop, try backyardflying.com.

Click under motor accessories. The part you need is GW/EPS-6AC. Guess how I know that!

$2.49 CAD each.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:29 AM
bmatt

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good voltage meter? I would like to check the voltage to see if the charger is fully charging the battery.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:43 PM
bmatt

I figured out the problem and it turns out is was a newbie problem. I had the prop on backward which apparently drastically affects the power of the motor . Once I got that on right there is plenty of power for some good flying.

Here is hoping I save someone a great deal of grief:
- The concave part of the prop goes to the back (or for GWS props the writing goes toward the front).

Thanks for everyones help.