Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Which Motor, Speed Control & Gearbox?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 02:55 PM
Air-Wolf-4U
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Motor, Speed Control & Gearbox?

Hi All!
I am interested in powering a plane that I am building by electric. I am new to the "electric arena" and need some advise as there seems to be a lot of options!
First I am building a plane that is a lot like a Giles 60. It will weigh about 12 pounds complete (I fibreglassed it so it is a bit heavy) and I was going to put in a Saito 100 4-Stroke. I am going to put it on Floats so I will need a bit extra of power and I am at a loss what to do.
Second; can anyone reccomend what motor, speed controller, gearbox and prop that I need?
I was told that Axies makes some good motors and direct drive at that...would this be a good idea?
Should I even be looking at electric for this size plane and motor? Is it worth it?
Any help and advice would be great as it would be nice to eventually be 100 percent electric. I am thinking no fuel to buy, no fuel to clean off, no starter, power panel and accessories to bring to the field...Wow!

Thanks again in advance for any help and suggestions that you have!

Dwayne
Old 06-06-2004, 04:05 PM
myersflyers
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which Motor, Speed Control & Gearbox?

I'm new to electrics and I'm considering converting a GP Lil'Toni to an electric and need some help on getting a good setup.
It appears from what I've read in the RC magazine and on RCU that the Hacker bushless motors are some of the best out there.
So, I'll start by saying I would like to get a Hacker motor capable of handling an 8-9 pound plane.
What size motor, Li-Po batteries, speed controller, eletric props, etc. do you guys suggest and where's the best place to purchase all these items (perferably the same source. i.e. Hobby Lobby?).

Thank You for any suggestions!
Adrian