Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

how to install pinion gears

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 06:45 PM
Spaceclam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to install pinion gears

how am i supposed to install the pinion gears? they are put on awful tight, am i supposed to heat up the gear and pound it on and then let it cool? is ther a better way?
Old 06-20-2004, 07:37 PM
crewchief_432

Default RE: how to install pinion gears

If you have a vise just place the back of the motor on one side of the vise to support the back of the shaft, And place the pinion on the shaft turn the vise to get it started (be careful not to press it on to where the shaft is trying to come out the other side of the pinion .) After you get it that far take a small socket or a piece of hard wood with a hole big enough for the shaft to fit through but not the pinion and press it the rest of the way on. hope this helps.
Jeremy Davis
Old 06-20-2004, 09:52 PM
Spaceclam

would heating the pinion gear help any or maybe putting rubbing alcohol on the shaft to help it slide better? it does evaporate quickly. also, have you tried this before? i do not doubt you but i do not want to ruin a pair of motors or something.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:50 AM
expat flyer

Heating a brass pinion will undoubtedly ease its fitting but makes it harder to handle and the insertion has to be done quickly because of the small thermal capacity. A vice would soon conduct away the heat from the pinion unless you have a fibre jaw.
I've tried using a soldering gun where the pinion can be wedged in the two wires to the bit, though that is not the hottest part.
Three golden rules.
1. Make sure the pinion is the right size for the intended shaft.
2. Make sure the pinion is always properly lined up with the shaft.
3. Don't apply too much force or an unhardened shaft will bend quite easily. Might straighten by trial and error.

Hope that helps

Jerry
Old 06-21-2004, 11:14 AM
Spaceclam

cool, thank you. no, the jaw is not fiber but a little piece of fiberglass takes no effort at all to make...