Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Motor and Battery Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 10:18 PM
Redback

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor and Battery Questions

I’ve been flying glow models for a while and was looking for an electric to fly on my property (I have 26 acres plus overflight permission for the neighbours property!).

A few weeks ago I bought a PC9. The box suggests that the manufacturer is a company called Awesome RC (or something like that), however the model comes with a Wattage 400 cobalt motor. After buying the model I started reading the bad news about the motor, ie its appetite for Amps!

Took the plane out to my local club on Saturday for its maiden flight. I was very pleased with its performance (take offs from a grass strip with a model this size were a pleasant surprise) but flight times confirmed that the info I had been reading was correct. With the heavy 8.4v 1200MaH pack supplied I was getting about 4 minutes before the motor cut.

Went to the hobby shop yesterday thinking about getting a different motor. I had read in a magazine about someone using a geared 480 as a replacement, however the shop did not have anything suitable. As an alternative I started considering LiPos, and ended up getting a 3 cell 1800mAH pack. The guy in the shop reckoned that the motor should be able to handle the extra volts and controller is a 30A unit so hopefully will be able to handle the current.

I would be very interested to hear opinions on how well (or otherwise) the motor will hold up. If the cobalt 400 is a dog anyway the fact that it may have a shorted life is probably no big deal! If the 400 is in for a short life any recommendations as to what I should replace with? Having got into LiPos (which I hadn’t intended to do) I figure I may as well stick with them so any replacement needs to be 11.1v capable.

Appreciate any advice.

Terry
Old 09-05-2004, 10:44 PM
Foamaholic
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Motor and Battery Questions

Don't know what a PC9 is but there are lots of good brushless motors that would make it go better than the cobalt and run a lot longer. How bit and heavy is the plane? Is it a fast or slow flyer?
Old 09-05-2004, 11:02 PM
Redback

Full size PC-9 is a turbo prop trainer used by the RAAF.

Reckon it must be about 30" span (I'm at work right now so it's not in front of me). Don't have any scales to weigh it (I'm working away from home), but it's pretty heavy with the 1200mAh nicad. The LiPo feels to be a lot lighter so that should be a bonus.

Plane is a pretty fast flier lands quite hot as well, though this may change with the LiPo pack.

If I go to a brushless would it give me more duration, more power or a combination? Power from the 400 Cobalt is not bad, but more is always welcome.

Terry
Old 09-05-2004, 11:14 PM
Foamaholic
My Feedback: (1)

Mostly more duration. They are more efficient and draw fewer amps to get the same power.