Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Great Planes PT Electric

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 01:42 AM
elderair
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great Planes PT Electric

I am looking for a reasonably priced , brushless, geared motor/ESC set up to replace the poor performing (from what I hear) can motor that came with the PT Electric trainer. I'm new to the electric movement and am assembling this trainer for my son to learn with. Anyone have suggestions as to what brushless, geared motor combo with LiPo's would replace the poor performing setup that comes with the PT E so that I could get some major training time before recharging. The motor that came with it says Thrust Master. It looks like the size of a car motor and says 550 on the case. Just need some suggestions for a combo to replace this or a set up to make this motor work well. I would like it to ROG and prop clearance is an issue so I would like to stay with a 10" prop. Also I would like to use LiPo batteries to keep the wing load down. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:26 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes PT Electric

Ground clearance issues are easy to fix; you shouldn't let that limit your options.

There are literally hundreds of perfectly viable options. What's your idea of "reasonably priced?" How long, specifically, would you like to fly (keep in mind that many experts believe flights over 8-10 minutes do more harm than good)?

A simple gearbox, ~3:1 ratio with a 12x8 prop, would vastly improve both flight performance and duration, and wouldn't cost more than $20.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:56 PM
elderair
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great Planes PT Electric

Let's just say for now that I have a budget of $150.00 that I am willing to spend for a motor/control with gearbox and a battery pack. I am aware that there are many different motor manufacturers both Brushed and brushless and there seems to be a big price difference between some of them. I wonder if the saying holds true with them all. (you get what you pay for) Also I need to invest in a charger that will take care of my present Rx and Tx packs as well as my batteries for the PT. I have LiOn's for my Tx and Rx and some NimH packs as well. I don't have any Nicads. The list of chargers just goes on and on though and choosing one seems hard. I use a Pro-Flite and a Sirius right now for everything but I would need to add a LiPo charger to the stable and might as well get a charger that would cover all my needs. Like I said I am new to the electric scene and would just like a few ideas on a direction to go with this project. I don't want anything that is high on maintenance. I don't want a brush eating combo. I would like to keep the weight down and not use a car pack if possible. I some of the electric flyers fly around for fifteen minutes on the LiPo's but they mostly are a bit smaller plane/motor. I see lots of the home made CD ROM motors doing really well but they are smaller from what I have seen.