Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

LiPos for GWS T moth

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 10:03 AM
rahtware

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LiPos for GWS T moth

I would like to do a (successful) conversion to LiPos for my GWS Tiger Moth.

Battery size? LiPo friendly ESC? Mounting?

I'm sure this has been gone over before, but I couldn't find it in a search.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2004, 10:29 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: LiPos for GWS T moth

The best place to install your LiPos is inside your Tigermoth where they will balance the plane. Depending on the type and size of your packs now and the type of LiPo's you intend to get, that may vary a bit.

Different LiPo's have different maximum discharge rates. Get a set that will at least match the maximum AMP draw your Tiger Moth draws. That will depend on the motor and prop you are using. Generally, the bigger the LiPo, the more it will handle.

If you are using GWS parts, you'll likely want to stick to a 2 Cell LiPo for 7.2V. You don't need a special ESC to handle the LiPo's if you are careful with battery management (like landing before the batteries go dead). Matt Kirsch, I believe, has written something about this before. If I recall, it went something like this: you fly for half the time you think you should get and measure voltage. Fly for half time of the time left more, and measure voltage, and continue this until you are at a certain voltage. Then, always fly less than the total time you've been in the air. A LiPo ESC will at least save your batteries from forgetting to land, anyway.

I believe GWS is coming out with ESCs that are LiPo friendly. Or Castle Creations has them too as do other companies.