Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Two brushless motors on one ESC?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 11:49 AM
ltaustin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two brushless motors on one ESC?

Can anyone enlighten me as to how to run two brushless motors on one speed control? I get the feeling it can't be done. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:53 PM
Mike Parsons

Default RE: Two brushless motors on one ESC?

A few have been able to pull it off, but more have been unsuccessful as the motors are constantly out of sync.

The Official answer:

The controller is looking for back emf from a single motor. When it gets two signals, it averages them together to decide how to run "the one motor" it sees. The result is, since no two motors are electrically and magnetically identical (nor Kv identical) the controller runs neither motor entirely accurately. Innacurate running means extra amps for the same rpms, and extra heat on the motor, and a general degredation of performance compared to a single motor. It also reduces the amp capacity of the controller, due to the extra heat that is generated on the controller itself.

-Mike
Old 09-23-2004, 10:24 PM
INeedHelp
My Feedback: (1)

If you get it to work let me know how I tried a week or so ago and could not get them to run. One of the motors seemed to "fight" the other.

Good Luck
Old 09-24-2004, 12:08 AM
kevinkel
My Feedback: (22)

I make a twin gearbox for brushless motors. I always use two esc's and have cut one of the positive leads from one of the esc's so as not to send double voltage to the rx. If there is a way to use one esc I sure would like to know also. I have been told that it can be done, but I have my doubts. Maybe you saw my slow stick with two himax 5400s in oct-nov issue of backyard flyer. It can also be seen at http://www.typhoongearbox.com
Old 09-24-2004, 12:27 AM
Arznek

Fly RC Issue 11 October 2004 has a great article on doing exactly what you asked.. Check it out.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:33 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Atlantaeflyer hit the nail right on the head. Sometimes it works, but most of the time it doesn't because the controller is using feedback from the motor (a coasting motor is a generator) to tell when and which way to pulse the electricity. It's like having two people talking at you at the same time. Sometimes you can keep track of the conversation, but most of the time it's just a jumbled mess of noise.

Even if it does work on the ground, there's nothing saying that it will continue to work, or that it will work in the air. Imagine if you're gliding along, you go to throttle up and only one motor starts... Messy. Even though it's more expensive, you're much better off with one ESC per motor.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:18 AM
Mike Parsons

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch
It's like having two people talking at you at the same time. Sometimes you can keep track of the conversation, but most of the time it's just a jumbled mess of noise.
Good analogy Matt. I need to remember that one.

-Mike
Old 09-24-2004, 02:58 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: kevinkel

I always use two esc's and have cut one of the positive leads from one of the esc's so as not to send double voltage to the rx.

Having 2 ESC connected to a Rx doesn't double the voltage, it doubles the amperage, which is not a problem for the Rx.

you a Kevin & Kell fan????
Old 09-24-2004, 03:53 PM
ltaustin

Thanks for the info. Consider me 'enlightened' (in the wallet). Or shall we say heavier with the other extra speed control?
Now.....do I just 'y' the two ESC's to the same channel and battery?
Old 09-24-2004, 04:07 PM
ltaustin

ORIGINAL: Arznek

Fly RC Issue 11 October 2004 has a great article on doing exactly what you asked.. Check it out.
I was actually excited there for a minute until I read the title: Brushed motor multi-engine models.
They say they will discuss multi-engine brushless setups in a 'future issue'.
Thanks anyways, nonetheless.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:56 PM
kevinkel
My Feedback: (22)

ORIGINAL: s3nfo

ORIGINAL: kevinkel

I always use two esc's and have cut one of the positive leads from one of the esc's so as not to send double voltage to the rx.

Having 2 ESC connected to a Rx doesn't double the voltage, it doubles the amperage, which is not a problem for the Rx.

you a Kevin & Kell fan????
Thanks s3nfo, I was informed incorrectly. I was just informed what kevin and kell was, my name is kevin kelley.
Thanks again, Kevin
Old 09-28-2004, 10:07 AM
hexonxonx
My Feedback: (2)

kontronics esc`s seem to be capable but for the cost of one kontronic you could get 2 phoenix esc`s goota go.