Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Aerobird Challenger Alternate Motors & Props?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 10:38 AM
critterhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerobird Challenger Alternate Motors & Props?

Well, yesterday I was doing some on the ground run tests to compare the run times of the 7.2 and 8.4v 900ma and a 8.4v 1100ma Venom battery (I'll post the results soon). Anyway, I didn't destroy the motor but I fear it isn't long for this world as the 8.4vs running at full throttle until they died caused the motor to get pretty hot and produce a burnt smell. Anyway, was curious what size this motor is and how much a new one costs...and if there are alternative motors that might be more efficient but still are the same physical size for ease in mounting (cost?)? Also, are there alternative props out there for this plane that are more efficient or have other advantages over the stock prop? Cost?
Old 10-04-2004, 07:35 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Aerobird Challenger Alternate Motors & Props?

There is a major problem with extended static runs. Motors need cooling airflow, even when run within their capacities, to keep from overheating. If the plane isn't moving through the air, there is very little, if any cooling airflow over the motor. All that wind generated by the prop is BEHIND the motor in this case, plus it's all toward the outside of the prop. The motor is at the inside of the prop.

The motor itself is a standard 6V "Speed 400" motor, also referred to as a "400" or "380." All refer to the same motor. Cost is less than $10 for just the motor.

As long as you don't sit there running the batteries down on the ground, 8.4V packs will be fine.

You won't be able to change to a different motor (i.e. not a direct replacement) without changing EVERYTHING else in the plane. Your best bet for an upgrade would be brushless, and the electronics inside the plane are simply not compatible. It's also quite an expensive proposition; the motor, ESC, and radio equipment will far exceed the original cost of the plane.

Properly tuned, the plane is fine in its stock form.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:45 PM
SaulOhio

Default RE: Aerobird Challenger Alternate Motors & Props?

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

You won't be able to change to a different motor (i.e. not a direct replacement) without changing EVERYTHING else in the plane. Your best bet for an upgrade would be brushless, and the electronics inside the plane are simply not compatible. It's also quite an expensive proposition; the motor, ESC, and radio equipment will far exceed the original cost of the plane.
I want to eventually build my own plane, with a powerful brushless motor. My plan so far is to use the empty shell of an Aerobird Extreme (They sell them like that, just the shell), and mount a big motor with at least a 5-channel reciever, straight wings (Maybe made from 2 standard ABX wings, cut down to just the part re-inforced with the carbon rod). I like the push-prop design, but would I need more room for a bigger prop?