Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Prop choice????

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 01:35 PM
topher39
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop choice????

I have a large 95" span thermal glider. I have a couple of 7 cell N-Mh 3000 packs ready to go that I have had laying around.
I have a 3.33 - 1 planatary gear drive mounted to a Graupner SPEED 600 BB 7.2V #6311

What is the best prop size to run with this combo without cooking the motor? What duration of run at what amp rate is OK?

I tried a 14 x 8 folder on one flight only and had a great climb but the motor seems too hot to me. The pinion was slipping a bit at the end of the flight and at that point I was pulling about 29 amps on a fresh pack. Not sure how much the pinion was slipping. My thought was that I was over proping, shaft was super hot when I put my finger on the end, case was up there.

Option/Question
I have a Endo coming to me - with the endoplasma motor what prop could I run and what should I expect in performance compared to the Graupner.

Pinion question - what type of locktite should I use? Is the standard clear red the ticket or should I go with something else?
Old 10-20-2004, 02:06 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Prop choice????

29 Amps is a little much. I think you want to limit your draw to the low 20s on cheap can motors. Drop down to a 12x8 and see if it's better. You'll have less climb, but better climb than if you were trying to run direct drive.

An Endoplasma, on the other hand, can take up to 40 Amps. It's also a much hotter motor than the Speed 600, that is, it spins faster on the same voltage. Given the same gearbox, I believe the maximum size prop you can use is an 11x8.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:10 PM
topher39
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Prop choice????

So the enodo is a hotter motor that can take more amps but I can only use a 11x8 with it? Can I expect much more out of the endo - 11x8 seems really small for a 3.33 -1, or is the Endo running that fast?