Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

WHATTMETER by AstroFlight (?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 07:27 PM
J3FAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHATTMETER by AstroFlight (?)

I came to this FORUM expecting to find one thread about the WHATTMETER,
looking for all the usual commentaries, pros., cons., etc
Instead I did not find ONE
Am I in the wrong FORUM ?
Or is it such an ADVANCED PRODUCT that no comments are actually necessary ?
I have read some threads that would be answered by the WHATTMETER
what gives ?
RICK
Old 10-21-2004, 07:49 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: WHATTMETER by AstroFlight (?)

I find plenty of threads mentioning the Whattmeter in a search... I know that in the last few days, there have been at least two threads dealing specifically with current-measuring devices, and the Whattmeter is quite prominent in the discussions.

Frankly, I really can't think of a whole lot to discuss about the Whattmeter. You plug it in, and it gives you a reading. It's excruciatingly simple to use, and works exactly as advertised. There really aren't any "cons" that any reasonable person would consider a deal-breaker, and not a whole lot to discuss.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:13 AM
Wright Flyer

Yup, something up with your search - entering simply "whattmeter" and doing an all forums search returns TONS of threads (majority withoin this forum).

But what did you want to know about it - presumably "is it worth buying?". Answer to that is a resounding "YES!". Along with a copy of Motocalc it's probably one of the two totally essential tools you need if you're serious about e-flight.

Having said that, it's true that the Graupner clamp-on 0-100A DC ammeter is another good choice for around the same amount. It may not measure the volts (and hence Watts) of a Whattmeter but has the advantage that you don't have to find the right connectors to plug it "in circuit" so it's much easier to just quickly clamp it on to any setup for a reading and it's easy to do the volts with a cheap and cheerful multimeter anyway (and get your calculator out for the Watts!). Standard multimeters can usually EASILY do the volt ranges we use in our planes but it's unusal to find a DC Amp range above 10A (which is one of the advantages of the Graupner meter!)

Cliff
Old 10-25-2004, 03:21 PM
macr0t0r
My Feedback: (2)

Well, I guess we have a thread on the Wattmeter now!
I have the older Micro Wattmeter (for the resolution), but the new one they sale has all the resolution of the Micro with the max-load capability of the regular model. Its tempting to upgrade!

Reasons to get an Astroflight Wattmeter:
1: Lets you know for sure that your prop/motor/cells combination won't overload your ESC, motor, or LIPO batteries. This alone will save you lots of money.
2: With a tachometer (or thrust gage), it will help you find the best prop for your system.
3: Can be used in a pinch to read the voltage of your battery.
4: You can predict the amount of flight time you will have.
5: For the true fanatic, it enables you to calculate the TRUE motor constants (kV, Rm, Io) of your motor for MotoCalc.
6: With external power (on the new model), you can use this with any discharger to measure how much capacity your battery actually has.

Indispensable little tool. Highly recommended.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:25 PM
studysession

I wish the Watmeter had a memory - Leave it hooked up on a run and when you stop it saves highest AMPs used on the run. THat is what I am currious on. I want to know how many AMPs I used when I am running. But when you stop it is no longer showing AMPs.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:45 PM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

How much is this beast, and where to get it?
Is it worth it?
Old 10-28-2004, 01:48 PM
studysession

I got mine from here:
http://www.modelelectronicscorp.com
Old 10-29-2004, 06:55 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Roger,

You can get the Astro Whattmeter from any hobby vendor that sells Astroflight products. In this day and age, you have to try hard to NOT find a vendor who carries the Whattmeter. You've got Tower Hobbies, Hobby People, Hobby Lobby, Horizon Hobby dealers, Great Planes dealers, many/most of the electric aircraft vendors that advertise here.... Heck, you can even buy direct from Astroflight!

Is it worth it? Just punch in a search for Whattmeter. Most of the occurrences will be proceeded by the words "Get a," as in "Get a Whattmeter."
Old 11-01-2004, 07:36 PM
woodduck-RCU

I have the Whattmeter and I agree that along with Motocalc these are some the the most useful tools available for Electric flyers.
There is a new product out similar to the Whattmeter and is called a Medusa power analyzer but in addition it has a computer interface and software. Try this link for info a a PDF manual http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=1198 , they also have the Whattmeter.

Woodduck
Old 11-02-2004, 01:14 PM
Dr Kiwi

Studysession - you need the Medusa Power Analyzer Plus so that you can graph your amp draw as you run. If you wait a few months the Analyzer Pro may appear - with temperature and thrust recording capability. [email protected]

Cheers, Phil
Old 11-02-2004, 04:10 PM
studysession

Thanks for the info - I just looked at there website and will download the manual later to see. Thanks.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:26 PM
roscoe13

Great tool for setting up and proving your power package. One quirk I noticed; Did a range check with the Super Whattmeter in the circuit, and only got about 15 feet, scared the heck out of me, thought my set had gone south. (Futaba 6DA) Removed it, and 175 feet no prob.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:01 AM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

Thanks for all great replies.
Great info.

Roger