Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

GP Electricub with Magnetic Mayhem

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 05:18 PM
blackbaron
My Feedback: (92)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Electricub with Magnetic Mayhem

I have a new Great Planes Electri-Cub on my building board and I just bought a Reverse timed Magnet Mayhem and GD600 gearbox with the 2.5:1 ratio. I found a great deal on some pre-made 7-cell GP3300 battery packs on ebay for $25.00. I am thinking about buying a couple of them, but I am debating about using 8-cell packs instead of 7-cell packs. Would I be losing a lot of power by using a 8.4 volt 7-cell battery?

I also just bought a Trinity Monster Maxx Pro 17-turn motor to try. I also bought another GD600 gearbox and both optional ratio pinion gears (3:1, 3.8:1). Which gear ration would be the best to use with this motor using a 12X8 or 11X10 prop? Would I need to use an 8 cell GP3300 pack or would a 7 cell GP3300 pack be enough?

I don't want the plane to be underpowered, I am used to having excessive on-tap power of glow engines.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:43 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Electricub with Magnetic Mayhem

Think of cell count (Volts) as the "cubic inches" of electric power. If you replace a 454 cubic inch engine with a 305, you're going to get less power, all other things being equal, right?

You can get some of the lost power back by turning a larger/higher-pitched propeller at the cost of flight time, because you're drawing more Amps.

Take a look at PCalc on www.flydma.com. You can use it to compare different combinations to find the best one.

The 17-turn motor is slightly "cooler" than the 16-turn. That is, it will spin the prop slower in the same setup. This means you need a bigger/higher-pitched prop to get the same power, or higher voltage.