Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Which Speed Control to use?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 12:48 AM
jetpilot74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Speed Control to use?????

Hello to all. I have a question that I am sure you will give me an answer very quickly.

I have a scratch built pylon racer electric plane. It has a hacker B20 12L motor. Pushing a 10X8 foldable prop. With a Lipo Kokam 3 cell battery. I need to know which speed control I need to use for this. I currently have a hacker master 08-3p brushless controler. After about 2 minutes the motor stops running. I figure that the controler is over heating because of too much power. So which SPEED CONTROL SHOULD I BUY?????? Thank you.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:18 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Which Speed Control to use?????

You need to know how many Amps your system should draw in order to choose the right size speed control. Unfortunately, you only provided about half the information necessary to make the calculations. Gear ratio, and the capacity of the battery are also necessary.

I suppose you could go out and buy a 25 Amp speed control, or even a 40 Amp to make sure your covered, but without knowing what you should be drawing, that could be putting the motor and battery at risk.

There is another possibility. Your battery could be too small to handle the current. When the battery can't handle the current, its voltage drops drastically, and the low-voltage cutoff kicks in.

Also, your system could be drawing an excessively large amount of current.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:51 PM
woodduck-RCU

Default RE: Which Speed Control to use?????

The Hacker you describe will take 16 to 18 amps max so a 18 amp or more should handle it.
Based on a 1200 to 1500 mah lipo battery.