Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Phoenix 25 cuts out at full throttle

Old 11-05-2004, 08:45 PM
F.Imbriaco
My Feedback: (56)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Phoenix 25 cuts out at full throttle

My ESC is factory set at 5 volts- not enough for my AXI with a Lipo 3 cell 11.1 volt 1500 mah pack. The instructions from Castle Creations say to reprogram the Phoenix 25 to 9 volts - but it is too complex to do manually with the TX sticks ( for me) and their new USB programming kit isn't available yet. For you savvy electric types , can you offer me some simple step by step advice ?
Old 11-05-2004, 09:11 PM
GeneG
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Phoenix 25 cuts out at full throttle

Their USB programming kit has been available for a while. I got mine from the castle creations website (http://www.castlecreations.com/). They also have them at my local hobby store. Its the easiest way to program the ESC.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:53 AM
polstery

If you can't answer YES or No questions then sell the esc, it can't be any easier, Enter program mode and answer the questions, READ THE DIRECTIONS thats why they put them in the box, Plus the cutoff is not your problem, if its cutting out at 5 volts then setting it to 9 isn't going to make it better. Your problem is your drawing too many amps or your battery is no good.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:02 PM
RUMROLLER

I don't think your battery has the discharge rate required for your motor speed controller set-up. Try hooking up a volt meter in line with the (+) (-) between your battery and your ESC. Put the Volt meter on Volts DC. It should have the symbol of "V" with a solid line over a dashed line for indication. That is in case you didn't know that already. Run your motor up. Under load with the same size range of props your plan on flying with. Start low and slowly advance the stick while watching your volt meter. If the volts is dropping below the cut-off setting it is your battery that is inadequate. If the volt reading never reaches or drops below the cut-off setting it may be a problem with the ESC. I hope this helps out a little for you. Happy flying and Good Luck!!