Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Drilling Props for Electric Flight

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 11:37 AM
WilsonFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drilling Props for Electric Flight

(Re-post to a more suitable forum...)

Excuse my ignorance but I just ran across something that doesn't look right to me and I want to make sure I have to do what it looks like I have to do...

All my electric stuff thus far have had GWS and eFlite gearboxes so the props have fit the shafts "out of the box". I just bought a new HiMaxx gearbox and brushless that came with a larger diameter shaft on the gearbox and some funky prop nut that looks like it has a compression sleeve on it. I'm pretty sure I see how this all works. Looks pretty straight-forward but no instructions to be found anywhere in the packaging.

It looks like I'm going to have to start drilling my props (sigh... One of the reasons I wanted to get a few electrics was for ease of use and relaxation! LOL). Is this correct?

Do I have how this prop attaches to this compression prop nut pictured right in my head? Anybody know what the CLOSEST standard (English) size drill bit is that I could use to drill my props if this be the case? It's a HiMaxx 400 with a 6.6:1 gearbox if that matters. Surely there aren't TOO many shaft sizes to deal with here. I might as well go back to my gas birds if I have to deal with all this crap. LOL
Old 11-07-2004, 12:43 AM
Foamaholic
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Drilling Props for Electric Flight

You could use a wobbly prop saver. It screws right onto the shaft and GWS props fit right on.
Otherwise just drill the hole bigger in the props. Not hard to do.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:17 AM
tony_kilwein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Drilling Props for Electric Flight

Buy the stock gws plastic gearbox 350 shaft, file the burs where the gear presses on and replace the himax gearshaft and you have the best of both. I have the extended gws shaft in my himax gearbox in a TM400 and the extra shaft length works great.

Tony