Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

GWS motor performance question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 02:01 AM
propjobbill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS motor performance question

GWS motor performance question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone ever checked out the performance on GWS 280 or 400 gear driven systems? I have several 280 and one 400 with gears. Their Charts says I should get a given amount of thrust with 8.4 volts for example. When I use them as direct drive the charts come close. When I use the charts for the gears my engine really lags behind.

Example 280 motor with a GWS prop 10x 7 should produce about 8 oz of thrust at about 4,000 rpm with 8.4 volts with a 3.75 gear box. When I try I get about 2700 rpm with about 4 oz of thrust.

I’ve tried different batteries with the same results. Why am I getting less power about 30% less than they say.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Old 11-14-2004, 09:13 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GWS motor performance question

Laboratory conditions vs. real-world, probably. In lab conditions, they can provide the motor with the voltage from a fully charged 8.4 Volt battery (approximately 10 Volts). Real world, your battery will suffer voltage depression; it'll be lucky to provide 1 Volt per cell under load.