Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

brushless setup for Gillows Spitfire

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 08:21 PM
mrbig
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brushless setup for Gillows Spitfire

I am new to using electric for ariplanes. So I am looking for some help in finding what size brushless motor I should use on a Gillows Supermarine Spitfire. Wing span is 27 5/8". I would like to use some lithium batteries too. Any help that you can give me would be appreciated. And if I need to provide any other information please let me know.

Brian
Old 01-14-2005, 03:07 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: brushless setup for Gillows Spitfire

That's a pretty small plane. If it was a die-cut kit with the trademark Guillows balsoak, it'll be a mite heavy, maybe too heavy for electric conversion (i.e. nasty tip stalling tendencies, forced to fly at MACH 1.7 to maintain lift, etc..). What's it weigh?

Imagining a P51 with that wingspan in my head, I am thinking 8oz will be "lead sled" territory. 5-6 ounces might be a reasonable weight to shoot for.

FMA Direct has recently come out with a PS10 micro micro micro sub micro servo. It's the smallest I've personally seen in a conventional servo, only about 2/3 the length of a GWS Pico. Might
Old 01-14-2005, 06:56 PM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

I agree with Matt,

I was consisering building the Guillows SE5 and turning it into an Electric as an interesting project (my fifth electic plane). After buying the kit, looking at the constuction and really bad balsa. I decided it would be much better to scratch build using the right techniques and wing loading for an electic aircraft.

I would recommend you get at least one kit from Mountain Models build it and fly it, before trying a Guillows conversion.

Larry
Old 01-14-2005, 07:36 PM
mrbig
My Feedback: (1)

So far the whole airframe (without covering) is weighing in at 2 oz. I have already replaced some of the balsa because I believe it was not up to rc standards. Also just to let you know this is the first small kit that I want to convert to electric. I value your input or I would not be posting in a forum. As a side note I am not new to RC, I have been flying for years. My first electric plane is a A-10 warthog from GWS. Although it had to be modified for performance or that one too would have been a disaster. I was also planning on getting the smallest servos that I could find. In addition I already downloaded another plan for a spitfire just in case this one does turn out like you are thinking. But all of that aside. I still would like to know how to figure out what motor I should be using. Worst case is that it crashes and I just have to put all of the gear into another plane. Like I said earlier thanks for all of the input .

Brian