Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives
Reload this Page >

Help with a brushless 400 and phoenix speed control question

Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Help with a brushless 400 and phoenix speed control question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 04:16 PM
1fishnfool
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with a brushless 400 and phoenix speed control question

I just got a warp4-speed 400 brushless,with a phoenix 25 speed control,and a 3s 2100 lipo battery.I am running a 5x5 prop on a pylon racer,and the problem I am having is that when I first throttle up,it spins up nicely,then maybee 3 seconds later,you can hear the rpm drop a few thousand.If you throttle back,then up again,it spins back up,but then drops off.I at first thought that maybe the battery didn`t charge right,since it was the first charge,but I tried to run it down and it ran about 10 minutes,so I know it had to be charged.I went through the programing of the speed control,and set it up to let max current through without shutting down,but it does the same thing.Any ideas?
Old 01-16-2005, 10:36 AM
sodflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Help with a brushless 400 and phoenix speed control question

I will give my input here as I have almost the same setup with a Warp 4 3 turn and a CC 35 amp ESC. The first thing I noticed with mine was it was doing some funky noises at full throttle and the guy at allerc said it was defective so he exchanged the unit. With the new one I am thinking I had somewhat of a reduction in rpm at the full throttle setting but that changed when I changed the timing on the motor from the 0-15 degree to the 5-20 degree setting along with ( i think this helped the most) changing the PWM switching rate from 11 KHZ to the 22KHZ or the 41KHZ...can't remember but I think it was the 41khz. what are those settings on yours? Jeff.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:51 PM
1fishnfool
My Feedback: (42)

I actually already did advance the timing,at it is still doing the same thing....maybe I will call castlecreations tommorow.What prop are you using and how does your warp run?
Old 01-17-2005, 11:30 AM
sodflyer

The warp runs just fine for now...I know I am pulling way too many amps with a 5x5 as I was reading 20 something amps in the shop at full throttle. So I think I have a 4.5 x 4.5 on there now but have not looked at the amperage draw with it as of yet. I do get some pretty quick climbouts could not guess but the Zagi gets up there to about 1/4 wide ( size it looks like ) in about 5-7 seconds but I can only do that 4-5 times in a row before the ESC cuts out on low voltage so after that I stop doing the straight up climb outs and tame it out for a while.....still can't get over the speed and the flight times not going at full throttle. Just another thing to keep in mind if you have the 3 turn it likes to rotate in the mount so I started using some thin double sided foam tape to keep it in place.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:32 AM
sodflyer

On another note I am also flying a 5 turn brushless.... between the 3 and the 5 I am leaning more twards the 5 id likeability and duration.