Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

home made electric motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 11:32 PM
CRAZYRYAN
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default home made electric motor

do any of you know how to make an electric motor? i like to make one the diameter of a tripple a battery and is it a good idea to use a tripple battery shell for a motor case? how do you make the magnetic piece spin evenly and smooth?can you give my links on how to make such a thing i want to be able for it to plug in the speed control as well any tips? this would be the right size for a guillow cessna 170 ans its cheaper than buying one.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:08 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: home made electric motor

Do a GOOGLE search on home made brushless motors.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:38 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: home made electric motor

It's one thing to buy a motor KIT but another to make one from scratch. You need to cut out multiple pole pieces, make endbells with bearings and then make a commutator unless it's brushless and a host of other things. This is a "lie down until the feeling goes away" sort of deal.

Way back in my teens Lindberg used to provide little electric motor kits with some of their plastic airplane kits so you could make a motor and it would spin the prop. THe motor would barely turn itself over so this was only to turn the prop. Despite careful work I only got about 1/2 of them to work. Making a motor totally from scratch as you suggest is just way over the top given the price of super cheap and powerful motors these days. For sport flying you don't need the fancy brushless stuff and the expensive controller that goes with it. The GWS gear drive motors work great and there's pretty much a size for every occasion. And if you can find the little Johnson motors they work great on direct drive for about $2.50 each. Add on a Gunter prop for another buck and it doesn't get much cheaper than that.

Anyway this is obviously in the wrong forum. I have to move it to the Electric Universe.