Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Some Questions concerning watts/size/etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 02:49 PM
polish smiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Questions concerning watts/size/etc.

Hey,

I was wondering how do electric motors compare to glow engines? Can you compare them? how much watts is a bhp? And what does the kV mean?

2. What is the smallest brushless setup possible? How big is it, how much does is cost?

thank you :-)
Old 01-17-2005, 04:16 PM
Direwolf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Some Questions concerning watts/size/etc.

Horsepower is one of those funny measurements that every society wanted to define themselves. So, you have the Standard horsepower unit, abbreviated as "hp". Then you also have the British horsepower unit, abbreviated as "bhp". A British horsepower unit is approximately 745.7 Watts. A Standard horsepower unit is approximately 746 Watts. Take your pick.

The abbreviation "kV" refers to Revolutions per Minute per Volt. If a motor has a rating of "4200kV", then it can produce 4200 RPM per Volt, theoretically, and with no load.

There are some particularly small brushless motors out there. I'm not sure what the smallest one is, and I'm not sure what it costs. Here's kind of a neat article on a home-made micro brushless motor... http://www.rcmicroflight.com/library/motor1.asp