Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

INTERFERANCE? How close is CLOSE?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 06:32 PM
wollins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default INTERFERANCE? How close is CLOSE?

INTERFERANCE? How close is CLOSE?

I've heard somewhere that close proximity of electrical RC components may cause glitching and interference. If so ...

1. Which components close to which components in particular are we talking about?

2. How close is "close"?

I've also heard that wrapping leads with aluminum foil can reduce interference with the receiver.

1. Is there any truth to this?

2. If the above IS true, what specific leads are we talking about? ALL leads (battery, esc, motor, servos etc) or specific leads?

As many opinions as possible will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Ben Lanterman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: INTERFERANCE? How close is CLOSE?

There are a lot of old wives tales going around about this however - It isn't something to worry about excessively. Remember that all of the components in an electrical setup are connected together by the common ground and the other wires. If a motor is sparking excessively or the ESC causing noise then it will be carried back to the receiver by the wires that are attached to it far better than depending on the antenna.

The main problem with noise came in the old days with a gas engine and metal linkages where the metal to metal intermittant rubbing causes a full spectrum signal that the antenna could pick up. You could check this by simply rubbing a screwdriver across the engine and the servos would jitter.

Compare that very tiny little electrical noise to the arcing that you can see going on in a Speed 400 (one that has brush cutouts). There is a small electrical storm going on in there yet if the motor has a couple of small arc supression capacitors on it there is no effect on the system. I have been flying RC for 40 years and the only problem encountered is the above glow engine metal to metal rubbing. With the electric motors just don't allow any metal to metal loose rubbing.

With the electrics I have been flying in the last few years I have wrapped the antenna through, over, around, between, etc. the speed control, servos and motor leads. I have around 20 electric airplanes ranging from the little GWS to the AstroFlight 90 monster and they all work fine no matter which brand of radio (single conversion, dual conversion, big, little), servo, motor or esc is used - there has been zero problems.

The two problems to watch out as mentioned above is when there is metal to metal rubbing that is not grounded through the system ground and an improperly setup arc suppression capacitor. Otherwise just install the gear per the manufacturers instructions and don't worry about it. Oh yes, the third biggest problem is don't mess with the antenna length, that will lessen your range. The little single conversion receivers have excellent range but do have their limits.