Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives
Reload this Page >

Motor cuts out at half throttle. (Phoenix 25 controller)

Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Motor cuts out at half throttle. (Phoenix 25 controller)

Old 01-20-2005, 08:27 PM
Ralgh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor cuts out at half throttle. (Phoenix 25 controller)

I have a Phoenix 25 with a Hacker B20 15L powered by a Thunder Power 2100Mah 11.1v battery and an 11X4.7 APC prop. The Phoenix 25 is on the default settings. When I advance the throttle stick the motor cuts out just before it gets half way up. The highest draw I have seen is 4 amps and the lowest battery voltage I saw was 11.8v. Motocalc says this setup should not exceed any of my setup’s limitations. If I was going to make a guess I would say the Phoenix 25 is messing up. I just want to get your opinions incase I have overlooked something. Thanks for the help
Old 01-20-2005, 08:51 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Motor cuts out at half throttle. (Phoenix 25 controller)

You're measuring current, right? 4 Amps and 11.8 Volts tells me the ESC is set for the 12.0 Volt cutoff.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:16 PM
Ralgh

Originally I had the default voltage cutoff of 5.0V. I reset it for the proper cutoff for my 11.1V Li polly battery, 9.0V. Then I thought about trying my Zagi battery so I reset it to the recommended 5.0V cutoff for that battery. I actually tried three different battery packs and all had the same result.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:17 AM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

Go to www.rcgroups.com
then go to the Vendor section and Castle Creations has there own forum to answer your questions and slove problems, Thy are very good about responding
Milton
Old 01-21-2005, 01:56 AM
Ralgh

Thanks. I posted over there to see if they can help.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:42 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

You don't mention how you're configuring the ESC, whether by PHX Link or through the "transmitter" interface. Configuring from the transmitter is confusing, and it's very easy to make a mistake. Many a 4-letter word was uttered during my first foray into configuring a Phoenix 80... You're sure you have the cutoff set correctly?

There may be a software issue with the ESC, then. Shawn Palmer will be able to help you out. Wish we could get him over here, but he's firmly entrenched at that "other" site.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:49 AM
thejc

Are you controlling it with transmitter -reciever or servo driver? I have a brushed 25 that will not operate properly with servo driver. It operates ok through transmitter-reciever. Only one of a dozen that has had this problem.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:59 PM
Ralgh

I am programming with the transmitter. I believe I am programming it properly because I successfully changed the prop brake setting which I can verify by running the motor. I guess in answer to your question, I am as sure as I can be that I have set properly. I followed the instructions as precisely as I humanly can.

I don’t know what a servo driver is. I have the ESC plugged into channel 3 on the receiver.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:42 PM
Ralgh

Update:

I hooked up my brother's Phoenix 25 and everything works fine. I sent the controller in for repair/replacement.