Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

BRUSHLESS EMERGENCY

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 12:39 AM
Jamonraz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BRUSHLESS EMERGENCY

well this is my sad history...
today at the morning i was hovering my plane, in my Club, just like another day, then when i finished, i did others things, and forgot disconnect the batterie (TP 3s 1320, i bought it 5 days ago) from the ESC(e-flite 20amp.).
i took notice of this 6 hours later. when i connected it to the charger, it didn´t recognize the battery,(i was very scare), the batterie was completly dead, i checked it whit my voltimetter and it marked around 4 volts (i was almost crying). after that, i remembered that my charger(e-flite celectra) has an option to charge batteries even when they are over discharged... after some minutes i stopped it and test it whit the voltimetter
and it showed 11.1 volts (a big smiley was in my face), i charged it normally whit the charger... when it was completly charged, i connected them to the plane and tested them, the motor(PJS 3D 500) was running perfect but a few seconds later i detected that some smoke was going out from my brushless(i can´t believe it) the motor was very very hot, i disconnected the batterie and let the airplane in a fresh place, now i´m waiting it get cool, i´m very concern about this situation, now we are talking about my batterie and my brushless... i won´t use that batteries, but can you tell me if the motor is damaged, what should i do..?
Old 02-14-2005, 12:48 AM
Spaceclam

Default RE: BRUSHLESS EMERGENCY

if smoke was coming out of your motor, that means you were melting the enamel coating on the wires and are risking a short.
however, NEVER charge a lipo that has been over-discharged. i dont know what it is that those chargers do, but i have heard a lot of bad things about re-juvinating batteries that way. what type of motor is it? maybe you can re-wind it or something?
Old 02-14-2005, 11:33 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: BRUSHLESS EMERGENCY

Yes, smoke is usually fatal for electronic components. You will probably need a new motor.

Perhaps leaving the pack connected for a long period of time caused one of the windings to heat up just enough to damage it, and normal use overstressed it. Or, it was just a coincedence...

Two things to remember:
1. ALWAYS disconnect the pack after EVERY flight.
2. NEVER do extended runs on the ground. That causes the motor to overheat.