Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Which Brushless for Magpie

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 10:27 AM
amitysanimal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Brushless for Magpie

I need help choosing my first brushless system for my Mountain Models Magpie. I will be flying with CBP 750's NIMH. It has the GWS 350c stick mount motor now. I am not sure what the plane weighs. I will be flying it with floats occasionally too.

What brushless motor, esc and prop should I start with? What different size props should I order to try out?

I am looking at the Himax 2808/960 with a CC 10 esc and the Himax outrunner hc2812/850 motor. Not sure how this one will work because it's not gear drive.

I will include a pic just in case it will help.

amitysanimal
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84668.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	251868  
Old 04-02-2005, 09:23 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Which Brushless for Magpie

You really can't go wrong with what Mountain Models recommends, that's for sure. They test their stuff, and don't publish it if it doesn't work. Gotta love that from a company

Anywho, from the specs, I think the 2812-850 will be a pretty good choice based on how much power it can handle. 150 Watts will give you pretty decent performance on a plane up to 24 ounces. The battery and prop are a different question; I don't really know without more data from Himaxx... on the limits of the motor. Probably a 3S LiPoly at around 11 Amps, which is way more power than a typical GWS 350C setup. Still can't help on the prop, though...
Old 04-02-2005, 09:33 PM
amitysanimal

Thanks for the reply. I don't want to switch to LIPOS yet. I want to run the 8 cell NIMH 750's on the brushless for awhile. I can't afford to buy the motor, esc and LIPOS all at once. I am not looking to make the plane a bullet, just want a little more power and better duration.

Thanks,
amitysanimal
Old 04-05-2005, 09:04 AM
HoboDog
My Feedback: (1)

Little Screamers work great! Use 8 degrees down thrust. Flies straight and level at half throttle. Really climbs good at 3/4 throttle. AUW with 3s LiPo 15.7 oz.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51593.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	254356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96374.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	254357  
Old 07-07-2005, 07:00 PM
iflyatcae

hey animal, what kind of floats are those, and where did you get them? sounds like a good idea, that float flyin...
Old 07-09-2005, 12:41 PM
bigbobed

ORIGINAL: amitysanimal

I need help choosing my first brushless system for my Mountain Models Magpie. I will be flying with CBP 750's NIMH. It has the GWS 350c stick mount motor now. I am not sure what the plane weighs. I will be flying it with floats occasionally too.

What brushless motor, esc and prop should I start with? What different size props should I order to try out?

I am looking at the Himax 2808/960 with a CC 10 esc and the Himax outrunner hc2812/850 motor. Not sure how this one will work because it's not gear drive.

I will include a pic just in case it will help.

amitysanimal
My setup
Himaxx 2808-0980
10x5 APCE
3s1p Apogee 2480
Plenty of power, but not 3d by any stretch. Flew it last Mon. in 15-20 mph winds. Wanted to show off for the glow guys that were sitting around afraid to fly. Got an ovation when I landed. Made my day.
bigbobed is online now Edit/Delete Message